new to siemens

jasomers

anyone know if it is possible to write directly to an ms-sql database from a siemens plc?

my siemens rep's seem to think its impossible without wincc or opcserver but my client says it is possible.

any help would be appreciated!

J

Well, I'm not sure if you can write directly to the database (although that is intriguing, and I'll have to think about it a little more), but I can definitely say that it isn't necessary to use WinCC or an OPC Server.

If you are capable of writing your own middleware program, you could send PLC data via sockets or UDP, and let your app write to the SQL database (there are plenty of threads in this forum about how to do that). That is the simplest and quickest solution I can think of right at the moment.

Great thanks!

I'll starting searching the threads for any appropriate info.

Any keywords etc. that I should be looking for?

J

Try "Siemens UDP" or "Siemens Sockets". That will point you to at least one thread, and then it will link you up to others. Good luck.

If you want a VB head start, I've attached it. It uses Native TCP connections. If you are using ethernet, this is your ticket. If you trying to do MPI, you're on your own.