RSLinx Enterprise not finding a PLC that Classic Can

Neven87

Hey all,

I have a FactoryTalk Gateway that I'm using for an OPC connection for a historian. This uses RSLinx Enterprise for finding communication paths. Using RSLinx Classic, I have no issue finding the PLC. Using Enterprise I cant find it.

In enterprise I didn't find the correct EDS, so I used the 1796-L30ERMS, didn't work. I then exported the EDS from Classic, and used a generic device with EDS in enterprise, and got to the screenshot below. It still cant find the PLC.

Any Ideas? Thanks for any help!

Enterprise.png Classic.png

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have dealt with this problem with Panelviews and discovered a kind of work around.

You must have the ME Firmware Update Wizard located in Rockwell Software>Factory Talk View>Tools

1. Open that, select Upgrade firmware on Terminal
2. Click YES to the warning that pops up
3. Select Network Connections (using RSLinx Enterprise) and click Next

This will open up a session of RSEnterprise for you. Right click on the EtherNet, Ethernet driver and select Add Device.

Browse through the list of hardware until you find the device you are attempting to communicate with. Make sure you have the proper firmware revision selected. After the device is added, you can just cancel the firmware update wizard and go back to your other programs. The new device SHOULD now be in the tree.

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum !

The Enterprise driver browse shows the 1769-L36ERMS controller, so you should be able to just point the shortcut at the controller object at the top line, labeled with its IP address, the controller model number, and the Controller Name "Safety 2".

The icons happen to be different between Classic and Enterprise, but that's just because the software is different.

With the modern 5370 series controllers, the shortcut or Topic needs to point to the first object in the tree, not any subsequent "controller object" or something listed under the backplane. It's not like the chassis-based 1756 controllers or the older CompactLogix that emulated the backplane of a 1756 controller more closely, with the PLC in Slot 0 and the Ethernet daughtercard in Slot 1.

This is presuming that your FT Gateway and RSLinx Enterprise do support that controller; the 1769-L36ERMS is a Compact GuardLogix, which is one of the very newest models of controller.

Thanks for the response guys.

After selecting the top controller and applying the topic. I tried it on the OPC Test Client. Seems like no dice. It does not register online Tags.

I might get with Rockwell and see if it's supported or not.

Untitled.png

Figured it out. Need to right click on the tree and set the comm module to be slot 1. Always the simple things. Thanks again!