CompactLogix input module fault word

Zlinger

I've been programming CompactLogix PLCs for a while now, but I have never used, or seen used, the fault bits for - let's say - a 1769-IQ32 input module. Can someone enlighten me and give me a practical example of how you would use the Local:X:X.Fault DINT? Thank you.

I've been programming CompactLogix PLCs for a while now, but I have never used, or seen used, the fault bits for - let's say - a 1769-IQ32 input module. Can someone enlighten me and give me a practical example of how you would use the Local:X:X.Fault DINT? Thank you.

None of the CompactLogix I/O modules provide any point-level "diagnostics". Suffice to say that the .Fault DINT will have all bits set on if the module is not communicating with the controller, you can use EQU zero to indicate the input data is valid.

There is a range of "Diagnostic" (suffix D) I/O modules in the ControlLogix family that have point-level fault reporting, such as "wire-off" (for input modules), "no load", "output verification", and "fuse blown" (for output modules).

The .Fault DINT is just a logical OR of all possible faults that a module can report, so you only need to investigate further if the .Fault DINT is non-zero. The picture is of the tags for a ControlLogix 1756-OB16D : 3 possible faults per point...

2017-07-28_001210.jpg