Barcode scanner communication with 1756-ENBT module

If the barcode scanner supports the Rockwell Automation "EtherNet/IP" industrial protocol, then you can connect it to a ControlLogix controller using a 1756-ENBT module.

I am using one such barcode scanner, a Cognex Dataman.

Most serial text devices like barcode scanners are not built to use that industrial protocol, and instead send data as a "generic ASCII string" over TCP/IP.

While you can connect to ASCII TCP/IP devices with modern ControlLogix controllers with 1756-EN2T and 1756-EN3T modules, or modern 5370 or 5380 series CompactLogix, the older 1756-ENBT did not have that capability.

There was an older module called the 1756-EWEB that could connect with such devices, but it was uncommon and does not have the same features (I/O over Ethernet) as the 1756-ENBT.

There are also EtherNet/IP to general-purpose Ethernet TCP/IP bridge devices on the market; the ones from Real Time Automation are widely considered to be the easiest to use.

Can you tell us exactly what model of barcode scanner you plan to use ?

Sample 5000 program for Barcode scanning

Hi Ken,

If possible, could you provide me a sample RSLogix 5000 program for barcode scanning with an EN2TR module?

Managers think Ethernet IP means that any device that talks on Ethernet can talk with it. Do not make this mistake.

Ethernet IP is an Allen Bradley proprietary way to talk that you have to shell out big bucks for.

There are gateways out there that can make it talk, but they cost a grand. I use RTAautomation gateways and a $700 Honeywell scanner at my plant.
The scanners from cognex cost around 3 grand but they drop in with an AOI and are super easy... Keyence's solution and RTA gateways require you to use a memory map and require a bit of configuration.

Use a dash of salt with those numbers.

Last edited:
Hi Jeremy just for the OP's clarification Keyence provide sample code for AB on their website barcodereader.com which I have successfully used for an SR-1000 scanner for 2D matrix reads over E/IP to a CPX L16