help! compact logixL16 firmware update failed

wrilk

hi, you all.
I have a used compact L16ER A series on my hand with the end cap got lost. notice end cap is lost, actuall I rember micro 800 PLC would run normally without end cap so do L16, it's should be a plastic cap. and what the problem is when I conect L16 in CONTROL FLASH, I can see the imformation in rslinx network. but I just can't update the firmware.after act failed, the OK led getting red and flash, and PLC need to power off and power on again, or it can't be scan by rslinx either. below is the capture.

L16 in network.png firmware revision list.png update failed.jpg error code.png

You need to install the endcap to performe the firmware upgrade

I don't think an endcap is required for this. If I remember correctly the side is for connection point i/o expansion which doesn't require an end termination. Oddly, looking around in the downloads though one page didn't have a firmware above v21, and the other didn't have a v21 and skipped from v20 to v24. I would suggest trying to redownload the firmware or try another revision to see if something may have gotten corrupted along the way.

The 5370 L1 processors do not have or require an end cap. There is, as the OP suggests, a little plastic sleeve that sits on the end of the bus, but this is purely to cover the copper pins to prevent shorting, it is in no way functional.

Probably not hugely helpful or relevant, but I would suggest that the difference between the L1 controllers, which don't need the cap, and the L2/L3 or older series CompactLogix controllers which do need the cap is that when using the 1734 I/O (i.e. on an L1 controller), you have to specify the number of modules present, and download that information to the PLC (or I/O adaptor). So it knows full well where the end of the bus is. Whereas, with 1769 I/O (i.e. on the other controllers), you don't - you just add as many cards as you like and whack the end cap on the end, which acts as a bus terminator. So the PLC works out how many modules it has based on the position of the bus terminator. (of course, this is just my own assumption, I have nothing except intuition to back it up with).

wrilk, are you using a virtual machine to flash the firmware? One common issue with using VM's is that the PLC must power cycle at least once during the firmware update process. If the USB/ethernet device doesn't automatically reconnect to the VM when it powers back up, comms to the device will fail, and the firmware flashing will be interrupted. For this reason, I usually use ethernet rather than USB to flash firmware, and make sure my VM ethernet module is set up as bridged. I also power cycle the PLC a couple of times before I start and make sure it appears correctly each time.

yes, I think so too. actually when I useing ethernet port update firmware, I did set up virtual machine ethernet module as a bridge . about usb device recognized by virtual machine . generally, once the device is shown in the rslinx network list, that say item is connected to the virtual machine correctly. anyway, I'll try install the rockwell software on another PC, a physical PC. thanks you all.