Pv1000

jthornton

I'm trying to connect to a PV1000 2711-T10C20 SER D REV B FRN 4.20 on the 232 port using the same settings and cable that I use to connect to a PV550 but RsLinx is not seeing it at any baud rate. I didn't think to see if the 5/05 did pass though or not on the ethernet cable, the 5/05 and the PV1000 are connected to an ethernet switch.

My PV550 notes say:
1747-UIC RS232
Driver RS323 DF-1
Device 1170-KF3/1747-KE
Baud Rate 19200
Station 00
Parity None
Stop Bits 1
Protocol Full Duplex
2711-NC13 straight through cable

Thanks
JT

The 2711-T10C20 has an Ethernet port, so it's communicating to the SLC-5/05 and to your RSLinx and PanelBuilder software over Ethernet.

Those settings for a PanelView 550 are different; that's for a Data Highway 485 model and your 2711-T10C20 does not support that protocol.

You could try to use a general-purpose RS-232/USB interface and use the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver (and a straight-through serial cable), but it would be a lot easier to use Ethernet.

The IP address of the terminal should be easy to find via the configuration screens.

By default the serial port on the old panel views are set up as a printer port. You have to cycle power and hold... I forget... a square box that appears OR one of the corners as it boots up.

Then there will be a setup selection screen you are in where you can make the serial port RS232.

Then it should respond at the baud rate that rslinx autofinds. You also need a special cable a 2711-nc13. It is different from the CP3 cable that you use to talk to SLCs.

*edit*obviously the cable info was not needed as you put it in your post.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The 2711-T10C20 has an Ethernet port, so it's communicating to the SLC-5/05 and to your RSLinx and PanelBuilder software over Ethernet.

Those settings for a PanelView 550 are different; that's for a Data Highway 485 model and your 2711-T10C20 does not support that protocol.

You could try to use a general-purpose RS-232/USB interface and use the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver (and a straight-through serial cable), but it would be a lot easier to use Ethernet.

The IP address of the terminal should be easy to find via the configuration screens.

Thanks Ken, I just looked and it looks like pass through is configured on the 5/05 processor so I'll try that tomorrow.

Edit: just read your reply again and I see use the ethernet driver in RSLinx to connect to them. Thanks again.

Thanks
JT

I had the IP address of the SLC5/05 from the serial connection and saving the ladder on my laptop. I set my static IP to 10.2.21.50 and plugged into the SMC EtherEZ 3605T Hub and fired up RSLinx and started the ethernet driver and the PLC showed up fine but the PV1000 did not. So I got out my AngryIP and scanned 10.2.21.0 - 255 and found the PV at 10.2.21.44 and the PLC at 10.2.21.45. The PLC has a straight cable from the ethernet port to X1 on the Hub. The PV has a crossover cable from it's ethernet port to the "Daisy Chain" port on the Hub.

SMC-EtherEZ-Hub-3605T-5-Port-Link-RX-Partition-w-Power-_1.jpg

Anyone have an idea how I can connect to the PV1000?

Thanks
JT

Try plugging your PV into one of the normal ports (not the "daisy chain" port) with a straight Ethernet cable.

The crossover cable is usually used when you go directly from the PV to the PLC without a hub or switch. Surprised to see an actual hub, most people use switches exclusively now.

Try plugging your PV into one of the normal ports (not the "daisy chain" port) with a straight Ethernet cable.

The crossover cable is usually used when you go directly from the PV to the PLC without a hub or switch. Surprised to see an actual hub, most people use switches exclusively now.

Thanks for the info, the machine was built in 2001 IIRC and we are trying to put it back into service.

Thanks
JT

With a straight ethernet patch cord neither the 5/05 or the PV1000 show ethernet activity lights. From the PC direct into the 5/05 and PV1000 I'm assuming I need a crossover cable.

Finally got into the configuration screens of the PV1000

pv-config-2s.jpg
pv-config-3s.jpg
pv-config-1s.jpg

Last edited:
Just install a switch in place of the hub...

Should I not be able to just plug and ethernet patch cord from the PC to the PV1000 and 5/05 which would be the same as having a switch? However there is no activity on either the PV100 or 5/05 ethernet ports when I plug into them with my PC.

JT

For anyone that searches for this here is the scoop. An Ethernet PV panel must use the ETH driver not the ETHIP driver which only works on newer panels like the PV Plus.

Now here is a good one if the file is created by a newer version of Panel Builder 32 and you try and open it on a previous version you get this strange misleading error

"Unable to load file. Not a PanelBuilder32 file or file is corrupted or disk space is low.

JT

Last edited: