Wago and Avantech industrial computer 610H

kalabdel

Hello gentlemen,

I have a quite complex piece of equipment that I'm slowly getting to know and I have yet to find out what PLC or "Computer" runs the whole show. There are quite a few panels and in every panel there's a Wago 750-337 (Canopen) with I/O module attached to it.
But I do not see a CPU anywhere and I have practically zero knowledge of Wago. I researched the Wago part numbers I found and was able to identify the different I/Os and the only thing that resembles a CPU is Advantech Industrial Computer 610H which again I know nothing about.

Are the Wago I/Os connected to the Advantech and the later does all the processing/controlling?

Thanks
Kal

IMG_0696.jpg IMG_0705.jpg

Whatever is on the Advantech would appear to be doing the control and talking canopen to the Wago IO. Do you know what is on the Advantech even as far as operating system goes? (Windows, Linux, QNX, ??)

Thanks, g.mccormick. I have no clue what's on it and your question is the now the most I know about the machine :) and a good starting point. I will ask around and have a look to look for hints as to what may be on it.

Cheers
Kal

Look at all the Wago devices carefully to see if one of them is unlike the others.

Specifically, you're looking for a 750-837 or 750-838, which is the "Programmable Fieldbus Coupler", with a CoDeSys v2 runtime engine and a CANBus interface.

But it's my guess that the PC is running some kind of runtime engine, whether custom or CoDeSys or some other PC-based controller.

Does the PC have a video interface that might suggest if it's running Windows or Linux or some other OS ?

The Advantech 610H was a chassis that was usually fitted with slot-mounted PCs or controllers or I/O cards, rather than a conventional PC motherboard. You might find a PC and a motion controller in there.

Follow any CANBus interface cables and look for an IXXAT or Hilscher card; those were a popular way to get a CANOpen protocol stack into a PC-based control system.

In my experience here, the Advantech 610 is an over-specified industrial PC - we have many of them here, still use them to run our SCADA systems.
Of course, they are a good vintage these days, but run WinNT, Win2000, some even reach the dizzy heights of Win XP....

I hate having to change one out, as they give you a hernia when lifting them..

Their modern replacements are just as heavy..we get them from SolutionsPT in this country, and they also sell us the Wonderware Licences...

check for a cable going to the computer, and/a card on the computer to receive canbus, The whole program is in your computer, it gives CAN bus commands direct to the fieldbuscouplers.
something like address, command.

It is possible to replace these couplers with a PLC, to get local program,

750-337 is canbus Remote IO couple. It can be advantech is the main controller(softplc inside or scada software where can support canbus master) to connect all the wago rio to get the IO signal.