PLC Timeout in Step 5 v7.23 (works like a charm in Step 5 v6.6)

bytestorm

Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem that I hope someone could help me with.

This is what I have done:

I have 2x Windows XP VMWAREs (identical fresh installs)

1st one I have Step 5 v6.6 installed
2nd one I have Step 5 v7.23 HF1 installed

To these both I use my USB-RS232 adapter and PC-S5-CONVERTER cable (siemens official)

The VMWARE Step 5 v6.6 works like a charm and I can go online any day of the week with the default settings. But on the identical VMWARE where I installed 7.23 just gives me the usual "PLC Timeout".

Settings are identical, and same usb adapter drivers.

The only thing that differs is perhapps the way step 5 v6.6 & v7.23 installs into windows...

I have seen many many posts stating that you cant use a usb-rs232 adapter + official PG cable, but it works perfect in v6.6 so why not in 7.23 ;(

any ideas?

what is this difference in installation ways?

Well, I dont know. I just mean that maybe the installer handles differently? I should also mention that I have tried uninstalling sp3, and runnint on sp2 but still same problem. v6.6 works, v7.23 timesout :(, same cable, same windows installation.

Ok I thought you meant that you experienced a difference yourself.

I never installed S5 much so don't know very much about it actually.
A quick search brought up that after install and reboot you need to run install again and choose something like "windrivers" option... did you do that?

what is this difference in installation ways?

Ok I thought you meant that you experienced a difference yourself.

I never installed S5 much so don't know very much about it actually.
A quick search brought up that after install and reboot you need to run install again and choose something like "windrivers" option... did you do that?

Yeah, and I also reinstalled both 7.23 and the usb drivers a couple of times in case, but still, only v6.6 works :/.

A long shot:

change the com-port-number that is in use for the S5-adaptor?

Tried that also :/

Well tough to say. maybe clone the VMWare with the 6.6, uninstall/delete 6.6 and try to install 7.23

Done it already several times. It must be something in the 6.6 install process that hooks the com port better than in the 7.23.. i can instal 6.6 anywhere and it just works.. but 7.23 doesnt no matter what I do. I know there are other options SW wise but step 5 7.23 is the standard at most of my clients and PGs so its just smoother to use the same all around