new guy needs help

bobbas41

Hey guys, new to the forum so forgive me if this has already been posted. I have a program that I uploaded from an AB micrologix 1000 that i need to download into an AB micrologix 1200, does anyone know if this can be done, are the I/0 config the same? i tried but im having issues, when i go to download it it says that there is no image file even though im viewing it when i try the download. . thank you for any help in advance.

Tell us exactly what models you're working with.

Basically you have to change the controller type to the 1200 you're using, then verify the project. When you change controller types, it will prompt you to resize data tables. I always uncheck that box. It will shrink all the data files if you leave it checked, and I like to do that manually if at all necessary.

As for the I/O, it may match up nicely for this particular conversion, since they both have built in I/O and the 1000 is not expandable.

When you verify the program, (right click Program Files in the navigation pane), if there are issues with instructions or i/o references, the software will tell you.

so forgive me for my ignorance in advance i am very new to plcs. so opened the porgram that i downloaded out of the 1000 went to controller properties and changed the pocessor type to the 1200 c that i have, i unchecked the resize box and the I/O clear box. When I verify the project i get a bunch of errors, see attachment. Am I doing something wrong?

1200 errors.jpg

The short answer is that you because of certain instruction that was used, you can't do this without modifying your program. The error text is self-explanatory, there are some instruction that are not supported in 1200.

You either have to find another 1000 or learn the program enough to rewrite it with different instruction to do the same function.

Lucky you.

Let's start with some basic easy ones. First off, you uploaded the program from the ML1000. Be careful with the terms upload and download when talking about PLCs.

The errors for the OSR are easy ones to fix. replace them with ONS instructions and that problem is solved. There are some subtle differences in how those instructions operate during pre-scan, but we can worry about that later (or not at all in most cases).

The HSC is a high speed counter. This one we'll put off for last. It's the most complicated thing you have to fix.

The DDV is double divide. This one will require you to figure out what the code is doing. DDV is a means of diving a 32 bit integer in a PLC that doesn't support 32 bit integers. The ML1200 supports the L (long or 32 bit integer) data type, so most likely you can replace the DDV with a regular DIV once you create a L data file and populate it with the right data for division.

The HSC in your new PLC uses function files with special data locations instead of the HSC instruction. For this one, we'll probably need to know what it is the old controller is counting...more about the machine it monitors and controls to give specific advice. An expert could probably help with the conversion strictly from looking at the old code. I never used the HSC with a ML1000, but have done some work with the newer HSC function files.

If you highlight either of those instructions in the logic and hit F1 on the keyboard, you will get very good context sensitive help on those instructions.

thanks okiepc, so i was able to change the instruction types to eliminate the osr faults. that being said let me tell you what i know about the machine im working on so maybe you can help me make some sense of this...

The machine is used to cut plastic from rolls in inch increments. typically around 108 inches or so. in essence an operator hits a start button and depending on the destination value in n7:2 i think, the plc control's a vfd 40 drive which controls an ac motor which feeds the roll to the programmed length,the plc then activates a 24v pneumatic solenoid which cuts the plastic at its final length.and the process repeats...its a seemingly simple machine at first glance, but these plcs have me thinking its not as simple as it looks.

as far as what the ddv is being used for, im not sure, im guessing it has something to do with the background math taking place... in other words, if the 1000 was only capable of counting 16000 pulses or something like that maybe the ddv was making the pulses divide to a more managable number like 16? i dont know its just a shot in the dark, im very new to plcs, but im a fairly adaptable person and learning to program them doesnt scare me.... thank you again you have been really helpful

That's good info. Since you understand the machine, there is a strong chance we can help you get this converted.

Can you put the two files in a compressed folder and attach them to a post? I think since you're green with PLCs, it might be best to let the forum help you pick apart the logic and guide you through the necessary changes.

morning guys, so attatched are the 2 files, the original program named bak008 which is for the 1000 , and the one im working on converting to work on a 1200 named v-seal. let me know what you think.

So for rungs 1 and 2, Because the 1200 supports the Long datatype, you can create a new long datafile and then change the Dest of the MUL blocks to reference elements in there. Then update the double divide to be a DIV, and source A will be the element and b will be 1000.

Like so for example
Code:
 BST MUL N7:1 N7:2 L9:0 NXB DIV L9:0 1000 N7:4 NXB SUB N7:4 N7:10 N7:5 BND

L9 is the new datafile here.

The HSC is setup differently on the ML1200, for that I refer you to the manual or technote 17447 on the rockwell knowledgebase, good quickstart there on it.

Dravik thanks for the reply, although I have to be honest I don't understand it. I'm not familiar with the long file types like you showed in your example, I appreciate it though, ill go check out the technote 17447 on Rockwell, thanks