Serial Cable Festooning

craven8283

Im working on setting up a 2D barcode reader with a RS 232 cable back to the PLC. An engineer is requesting they want the bar code reader on a mobile station (back and forth Movement)? Im against this due to the serial cable movement (lifespan). I would like the reader to have a fixed position. What are your thoughts on festooning the cable?

Igus (and others) make motion rated serial cables. I prefer a cattrack or similar installation to festoon, but I've done that before. Obviously you want to eliminate potential sources of mechanical wearing (rubbing, pinching, etc.) but it's not uncommon to have serial cables in mobile applications.

Either way will work just plan ahead
I would recommend using a flat doubled shielded festoon cable
not the standard round shielded cable ( they don't last long in a festoon)
I have run them without any problems
the other issue is how are you planning moving the Barcode reader the moving reader is a lot more complicated and will a lot of planning to make it work