Panel Fusing

irondesk40

Have a question that i hope someone more familiar with Codes could assist with. Have some equipment in our plants in El Salvador that have some MCL-15 fuses installed.
To make a long story short, something happened that blowed a fuse and they put a 25 amp fuse due to fact they did not have the correct fuse.
Well as you can guess that caused more problems and i had to fly over and fixe the shorts in the machine and then install the original correct fuses.

Looking at replacing these fuses with circuit breakers and open to suggestions as to what size and rated circuit breaker would be best to install.

Fuses are on the input of some Automation Direct branded Ac drives that are .5hp drives. Downloaded the manual and it actually recommend using a 20 amp fuse.
I know the proper size fuse is what should be used if something happens but after i arrived at the plant i found the correct fuses in the maintenance shop but they still installed the wrong fuse. At least with a circut breaker would not have to worry about the wrong size fuse being used.
A technician in these plants could be a fork lift driver today but considered qualified to be a machine technician next wee.
Just trying to prevent trips in the future, not my favorite place to visit.

My experience with AD drives is that they are ONLY UL listed for use behind specific fuses. In El Salvador, UL listing is not likely an issue so you might be fine with a CB, or even a Motor Protective Switch (IEC style Manual Motor Starter). Many drives are listed that way, the problem with AD is that they don't really make anything, they are just brand labeled from other mfrs., in the case of the VFDs, its several different mfrs for the different series. Companies that actually make their drives will often UL list them with a CB or MPS, but only the ones they themselves make and sell, because the additional testing is expensive. Since AD doesn't make anything, they don't do that, so it's fuses only.

Thanks
Doing a search to see who makes the GS2 for Automation Direct.
Good drive, have not had any issues with them and with 14 machine and each one has 5 of the drives that have been running for about a year.