Graphical data analysis

agarb

Sometimes I need to take a time-based csv file and graphically plot the data so I can analyze what my machine is doing. I generally use Excel but there are a couple shortcomings that have me searching for an alternative solution.

1. I want ability to zoom in/out via keyboard or mouse to see specific areas of interest.

2. Many times my Y data varies quite drastically in magnitude from series to series. Like temperature of ~400 degrees, position of ~10 inches, and motor amperage of ~100 amps. While Excel lets me add a secondary y axis, I’d really like to be able to add a 3rd or 4th or 5th or... without a bunch of intermediate scaling. (Similar to how the trends work in Logix500 or Logix5000 programming software.)

Today I found freeware datPlot which is very promising. But falls short on point 2 as it only allows primary and secondary axis. However it is easy to add another graph pane below the first so I can get all 4 series synchronized in the x axis. Disadvantage is that half the screen height is lost in adding a second graph pane. So visual resolution suffers a bit.

I’m not opposed to paying for the right solution.

Can you send me your CSV file?
I would like to see what RMCTools can do with it.

Perhaps... didn't know RMCtools could do that! I'd be willing to try first but I don't see how to open and import a csv. It wants to open a *.rmcplots file?

BTW - I've been using RMCTools a lot recently. Doing five 6 axis machines. And customer threatening to order four more in the next several weeks. I counted up the other week and I'll have 65+ axes of Delta in the field before the end of the year.

Look at the on line help. search for exporting plots. By default RMCTools reads and writes .rmcplots. These are actually .xml files. I know we can export .csv and .txt files. I am pretty sure we can read them if the file type is .csv to .txt. I will check tomorrow or today since it is already tomorrow.

You can use Python with the matplotlib library and plot almost anything you want. It takes a bit of reading to get familiar with it and get everything set up, but it has tons of features.