Replacement Cell Phone

akreel

We haven't had this discussion in a while, and I know there have been some major changes in cell phone technology. What model cell phone (not service provider) would you recommend?

Currently, I have one of the ANCIENT Motorola StarTac phones (ST7868W). I have broken the belt clip, and more of the pieces are super-glued on. I don't want to give it up, because it works EVERYWHERE. But, its time is coming and I want a new phone that will perform as well as this one. I don't even care about color graphics, ring tones, or cameras. I just want a phone that works anywhere and can be plugged into my laptop, from time to time, to serve as a modem.

AK

I've still got my ANCIENT Motorola StarTac.
I bought two new batteries last week on Ebay.
I hope to make it last another couple of years.

I also have a company mobile, the Motorola startac. It's really very handy! But quite difficult to find replacements for broken parts nowadays, especially where I'm from. So when I have to work out site, I will either use the company mobile, or a rugged (to me) Nokia 2100. I feel it has a pretty tough stuff made to it, because I have drop this phone countless times and it's still working like a new phone.
The casing has many scratches and chip offs, so I used a padded casing to wrap it up and it's new again~ I stuffed a bit of rubber I scraped from the workshop into the sides of the padded case and I got a bit of shock proof effect. Just the overall look is not so pleasent. :D

regards

ST

My top of the line Nokia GAIT phone last year is obsolete this year. To get a decent cellphone package I have to get a GSM only phone. Last year, GSM was only in my market area, and none of the surrounding ones. Several times when Cingular went down for hours, my son and I were still able to use our everything phones, while the GSM guys went stir crazy.

I still like my old Mortorola analog StarTac and "Brick" phones, but there is only one local analog channel available, sometimes a long wait for it to be available.

Ahhhhh, progress.

And they said I was nuts the day (1976?) I hooked up 5 CB's to make phone calls from my car. (Had the CB's, to tight at the time to invest in duplexers and ham FM equipment.

regards all.....casey

It's starting to sound like I should keep the StarTac, even If I have to stick a coat hanger in the antenna port and wrap it in duct tape and chicken wire.

didn't want to get involved as i am not in the states but as an ex-employee of motorola in the uk, having seen the teardowns etc and having got a free phone as a goodbye present i would say almost any seimens, sony or especially nokia which is current should be more than ample. obviously yours will need to be tri-band but if it's on sale there it will be. the nokia interface is complete childs play compared to a motorola. i have had 3 motorola phones and got to grips with them no probs but when my complimentary v50 packed in (poor quality, most distressed) after a very short time and i went to see what else was out there i was blown away with what a comparable package from another manufacturer could do. better battery, signal strength, features etc. the 7250i i have now is also out of date but still well sufficient for my needs. its gsm has ir, the only quibble is no bluetooth but it didn't cost anything with a cheap callplan. i know the new motorolas are in a different dimension from the startacs and the v series but over here almost anything have them beat for user friendliness, etc.

ching... oh, that was my two cents (sense??)

In the United State you have Analog GSM(ATT Singular) IDEN(Nextel)
CDMA(Sprint)TDMA(ATT Cingular).
There is 2 major frequency band 800MHz 1900MHZ(in Europe its 900MHZ and 1800MHZ in Israel its 800MHz 900MHz 1800MHz)
BTW in Israel there is more cell phones then People.over 6.5 millions cell phones (Analog TDMA GSM IDEN CDMA)
All of that give you different option.
Far as I know the States, the best cover is for Analog, but you got low voice quality and no data option.It change but slowly
There is some phones which can work Analog and digital.
The TDMA slowly move out and the GSM take place.(also in Israel)
I have Sprint phone which can work in all the major cities (in the Statse) and iterstate highways without roaming charge.
I think the GSM is better then the others.Most of the world use GSM.
Data PTT Roaming all over the world.advanced phone huge phones selection.easy to replace the phone(just to change the SIM card) the cover grow more and more.

You need to define what you want,from cover to calling plan.Roming ect.and make sure you have cover whrer you around.

BTW here and in Europe We dont pay for incomming calls