G-Code

Morten

Hello, PLC programmers!

I'd like to read about combining G-code with PLC Instruction List.

G-code is familiar to me,
it is standarized in ISO / DIS 6983.

possible in other standards.

But when I learn and program in PLC
very little about communicating between G-Code and IEC 1131-3 is published.

Please help,

best regards

morten

Hi Morten,
I'm not sure what you mean by "combining". There aren't PLCs programmed in G-code I know of. The only possibility I'm aware is interfacing between these two. And the way it's done is properytary to a manufacturer.
In IEC world there's someting called "motion control library". Set of definitions of functions blocks allowing PLC program to interact/interface with motion control platforms.

G code is the language used to program CNC machines.

Usually communication is done by some sore of manufacturer specific function block. Each is different.

M codes for example. Indramat has two FB's. One for recieving the M code where the number is a parameter, and one for acknowleging it.

The only PLC piece I can think of that has... no, not G-code, but something very syntaxically similar is one of the servo control modules for Omron C200 (don't remember the actual part number).

G-codes can do many things, but they were designed primarily for complex motion programming. Programming sequential operations with G-codes, although possible, is a royal pain. That's why most CNC controllers support some kind of sequential non-G-code programming - usually a primitive form of good old ladder logic.

PLCs, on the other hand, though capable of doing pretty complex coordinated motions, were never intended to replace CNC things. So it is very unlikely G-codes would ever be supported in a PLC. It is not worth it, IMHO.