OT: Where do all our members come from

RMA

Just curious really, but with a bit of luck, it might be fairly easy to pick out of the membership database, how many members are registered from each country. The thought was triggered by the fact that I haven't seen too many members from Germany and was vaguely wondering why that might be, although I note we've just had a couple join over the last few days.

I realise things are going to be complicated a bit by people like me (Scottish, but living and working in Germany) and those like our two newcomers, German, but no location given (as far as I remember).

Thanks in advance for any efforts.

All the germans (well some of them) are hanging out in the SPS-foren.de forum.

Obviously they speak german there and very much about S7 et al.
(they have split the PLCs into "SIMATIC" and "Everything else than SIMATIC" :p )

Its quite good, but cannot beat PLCs.net :site:

NB: There are other german PLC forums, but that one is the best.

Us Brits have dual nationality!!!

Roy

Us Brits, (yes, you are also one!) and there are a few of us here, not including the HNC students :rolleyes: , do not necesarily use the Union flag (it's proper name) for the country code, I use the flag of St George, you and Kenny B (MacGuyver) use the flag of St Andrew.

Would be all be under the one country? i.e United Kingdom or under our 'own' country, England, Scotland, Wales and of course Northern Ireland?

Paul

I check out the SPS forum once in a while, and there can be some good info there (I can read German, thankfully). I had to laugh at one of the threads where someone posted a response from Siemens to an inquiry they made about why a udt of 8 bools will take up two bytes in a DB. Siemens' response: "Ist halt so, und bleibt auch so." You've got to appreciate their dry way of responding.

I remember once back in the S5 days when I asked one of the Siemens S5 software developers from Germany about a feature that I thought would be really useful. His response: "We considered that, but decided that you don't need it." Thanks very much. If a US Siemens rep said that, I would be offended, but it's kind of funny when the Germans say it.

I think I am the most active member fron Isreal in this forum.
I saw some names but they are not participating.
I hope I am good representative.
The language is the barrier.Over here all the books and manuals are in English.So we must to have some English knowledge.Other countrys like Spain Germany France have manuals in there own language and most of them have poor English.Try to get machine from this countrys with English comments in the software.You have to insist for that.
I know how hard is it.That why most of the active members came from countrys like UK USA and Canada.

Rick

Thank for the compliment.
Well with 750 post in this forum and all the posts I was reading, something must to change.
The true is in the last year I had to read in English more then I did in all my life.
I gusse it improve my English,(and my programming skills)Iam looking forward to get better and better.

Does anyone know?

What does SPS stand for? I am pretty sure the last word is steuerung or control. I don't know what the first two letters stand for. We are going to have some stuff in a SPS trade show in Nurnberg.

The SPS-foren.de looks interesting. I will have to figure out how to get the umlauts to show when posting and a German spelling and grammar checker.

Live in England, work in Brazil, often visiting Spain, Finland and USA. Sounds nice but right now I am in this steel "prison" of a floating Oil Drillship 120miles off Brazilian coast trying to find info of the Internet so I drifted into this Forum. My first ever PLC system is powered up a few yards away waiting to be commisioned. It will over ride interlocks if we black out our poower system. Nothing like a nice "unimportant problem to get going with .....

SPS

It stands for Speicher Programmierte Steuerung as a kind gentleman by the name of Dietmar told me on the SPS site. God knows how he understood my question.
K

ps the closest I can get with the Collins Gem is Memory Programming Control - the translator website says Storage programmed control

Last edited:
Almost, Kenny,

it's "Speicher programmierbare Steuerung", that's the adjective (or is it an adverb?, I've been away for so long I'm forgetting my English grammar!) for programmable, although you would really say "stored programm control" in English - wonder when we'll get to the stage where translation programms can work with something other than the simplest "Subject, Verb, Object" sentence structures ( in tenses other than present, as well, of course), they sure can't at the moment - and I had cause to try a few relatively expensive versions a couple of years back for a joint German/Canadian project, the result was unuseable.

Last edited:
Re: Does anyone know?

Peter Nachtwey said:
The SPS-foren.de looks interesting. I will have to figure out how to get the umlauts to show when posting and a German spelling and grammar checker.

Off-topic but in German you can put an e after the vowel with the umlaut and it's the same thing, i.e. u with an umlaut equals ue. Not sure about the spell checker.

I am lebanese..(its somewhere near Israel) I've never seen another lebanese guy on this board..hope to see some soon, we do have automation engineers here in beiruth(alot) but never seen one of them in here...strange :) ...

I mostly enjoy reading threads to get more skills and knowledge..I'd say this is and amazing place to visit frequently..I'd also set this forum as a my home page :D , all of the visitors seems to be very polite and esteemed...I Enjoy reading
Ron's(rsdoran) and Terry woods threads.

well I can only say thanx Phil for this great forum..

God bless you all.:site: