Siemenns

ShawnK

I am good (not perfect) with Allen Bradley SLCs, and fair with Omron. How hard is it to learn Siemens?? Where do I begin? I have searched through archives and ordered some stuff from the manufacturer (I hope it comes) but short of $1800 for a weeks training does anyone have any suggestions??

Cut your hair short so it's not as easy to pull out. :D Really if you understand PLC fundamentals it's not that tough but it is different and there will be much more of a learning curve that switching from GE to Mitsubishi or AB. A big minus is many commands you're used to are not there (reang, array move, etc.), a plus is you can build your own commands to make up for the missing ones and make them exactly how you want them.

Being good with high level languages like pascal or C also helps.
The programs are structured in a similar manner, with the OB1 master function calling functions similar to the way it is handled in C.

It is also similar to the way the Modicon Concept programming language works.

Edit: Just noticed, Jedi OB1 Kenobi Master.
OK, I am stuck here at work, so lame humor is better than no humor at all.

Last edited:
The S7 series is not hard to learn. The windows based interface is easy to move around in. If you have ever done any assembly programming STL will remind you of that somewhat, and of course there's ladder too. I taught myself using the online manuals and help files. If you get stumped, there are some pretty sharp people on this forum that can get you pointed in the right direction.
Good luck!

CT782, where did you find those manuals, I've surfed the siemens site twice and can't find them yet. As for cutting my hair short, I shortend it teaching myself plc's ( I eventually caved and went to Allen Bradley), but the hair never grew back.

Thanks everyone I spent quite a bit of time reading all the stuff and it's helped me alot. I sure would like to get my hands on that simulator; that may be something for tomorrow.
Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom