New Project - Adding in modules

JosephMont

I went to a Rockwell seminar and was speaking with another attendee and we were talking about each others roles. He mentioned he does a lot of the prep work IE adding in 100's of modules. He mentioned it was significantly faster if he converted the file to a text-based and edited that way.

Any insight on how to do this?

You can save files in the .L5K format (XML) and edit that way. You can do a lot with .L5X files (XML) too, such as auto-generation logic routines and importing them that way.

Depending on how much effort you put into it, you can speed up development quite a bit once you udnerstand .L5K/.L5X files.

I am trying to find a fast way to add a couple hundred VFD's to new project.

I tried doing it through the L5K and it did not load them.It did load everything else. I tried to the L5X and same results.I have AB integrated architecture and notice it does not load drives as well but will load the EN2T's and other devices.

For the L5K or even L5X formats, you need to pay attention to the XML formatting. Are you using a plain text editor, or an actual programming editor that understands both the formatting and the character sets?

I edit .L5K files by hand all of the time.

For instance, on the project that I'm working on now, I have a "Print_Pass" and a "Print_Fail" routines that only differ in that one has "Pass" as part of its tags, and the other "Fail".

I copied all of the rungs in "Print_Pass" (select all, right click, hit "Copy") and pasted them into NP++. From there it was a simple search and replace of the "Pass" occurrences with "Fail".

Next, I copied the modified text and pasted it into the "Fail" routine by adding an empty rung, double-clicking on it from outside of the rung (near the rung number), and making sure that it says "In Neutral Text" rather than "In ASCII Text" I paste those rungs (you can enter multiple rungs in at one time) that I modified in NP++. Then just click outside of the text edit box that you entered your rungs in and all of the rungs will appear.

Can you make a sample program with just one VFD in it and post it here for us? (preferably as a .L5K)