Messages between 500 and 5000

I am trying to setup communication between my micrologix 1100 and my compactlogix L24ER QBFC1B when i go to my Ethernet area on my compact and right click properties i do not see any micrologix controllers in that area .. How can i establish communications between the 2 devices .. I am very comfortable using messaging in 500 and programming in 5000 but never mixed the 2 of them together.. any help would be greatly appreciated .

I am trying to setup communication between my micrologix 1100 and my compactlogix L24ER QBFC1B when i go to my Ethernet area on my compact and right click properties i do not see any micrologix controllers in that area .. How can i establish communications between the 2 devices .. I am very comfortable using messaging in 500 and programming in 5000 but never mixed the 2 of them together.. any help would be greatly appreciated .

You do not add it to your project tree. You need to set up your 5000 project to map a network message from a 500 controller. In your project, at the top of the window, go to Logic>Map PLC/SLC Messages...

Examples:

500msg_1.JPG 500msg_2.JPG 500msg_3.JPG

Last edited:
See attached for an old reference, note this was for PLC5 to CLX I'm assuming it to apply to the Micrologix.

thank you for all of your responses i now have it communicating but if i set my element to 10 it errors out but if i set it to 5 it works just fine .. I made sure when i mapped the 5000 i set the value to 10

ok i can set the element to 9 and everything works ok except i do not get the first number in the array "0" does not show up for some reason but i can not set the element size to 10 or it faults out the Message

It is not clear from your posts which controller the MSG instruction is in, or what exact values you are putting in what exact fields of the instruction.

My guess is that you have put a MSG instruction in your MicroLogix program that performs an SLC Typed Read from the CompactLogix.

In the CompactLogix, you should have an INT[x] array tag that is mapped to a PLC/SLC Data Table Number.

Your description of not getting the "0" array element and not being able to read ten elements suggests that you have a CompactLogix array tag with a length of 10, but that you are trying to read starting at element 1.

This would be represented in the MicroLogix MSG instruction with a source data table address of "N7:1" or similar.

Post as many details as you can about the configuration of the MSG instruction and the specific size and datatype of the tag that you have set up in the CompactLogix.

I apologize i should have included more details.
I am writing a message from the MicroLogix 1100 to the CompactLogix L24ER QBFC1B and
on my 1100 i have my channel as 1 and my command as 500cpu Write and Data Table Address is N14:1 my message timeout is 33 and my Data table address for the target device is N14:0 my multi-hop is setup using this micrologix X.X.X.X then i have the Logix Backplane as address 0.. On the Compact side i went into my controller tags , edit tags and i added a new tag labeled "Network_Message" i made sure to change it to a INT file with 10 as an array .. when i write in my micrologix file of N14:0 instead of N14:0 being N14:0 to 0 its N14:0 is writing to Network_Message(1) instead of 0 the N14 files are off by 1 spot this is only allowing me to add 9 elements and if i add 10 if faults out the message instruction..

It's been quite awhile since I set up any MSG instructions like this. If memory serves me correctly, I had problems when setting up my communication command as 500cpu...? I think that's why I set it as PLC5. I could be wrong, but you can't argue with success. I get my data from one to the other... Feel free to chime in Ken!

so i changed my INT array from 10 to 11 and now i can change my message instruction element to 10 and everything works as it should. but is still off by 1 number though???

For all of the data to line up correctly, the Source data table address should be "N14:0" and the Target data table address should also be "N14:0".

Be certain that your CompactLogix array tag is a 16-bit INT type, not SINT or DINT.

I did not think of making them match for "This Device" and for "Target Device" once i changed that everything worked out great .. Thank you very much for all of your help.