Is there a "good" way to convert from serial radio to ethernet PLC?

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I have a client with old SCADA hardware (Scadapacks from back when they only had d-sub serial connectors) that wants to upgrade. They have several remote sites (water treatment) and they run TeleDesign TS4000 radios (unlicensed VHF, ~150MHz). I prefer to spec Allen Bradley (CompactLogix) and the client is fine with that, but the issue I wonder about is getting radios working. I'd love to stick with the radios they currently have because they work well and I like TS4000s. Unfortunately the TS4000 only comes with a serial interface. I could change the radios out to something with a native ethernet port, but I would really love to stick with TS4000s if at all possible. So I'm wondering if there's some product out there that can take an ethernet connection, "convert" it to serial, and then "revert" back to ethernet on the other side. I'm checking Google but it seems like most solutions are meant to connect a serial device to a LAN, not the other way around. Or maybe you guys can suggest another radio that is as reliable as the TS4000 but has ethernet native?

The digi one IAP may work as an Ethernet to serial converter in your application. Also I was told that the 5069 series compact Logix plc either has or will soon have a Serial Port add-on module. I was told that this new module will support modbus natively. The micrologix 1400 might also be a good fit for your application depending on the io counts

The digi one IAP may work as an Ethernet to serial converter in your application.

I will take a look, thank!

Also I was told that the 5069 series compact Logix plc either has or will soon have a Serial Port add-on module. I was told that this new module will support modbus natively.

That's interesting. I wonder how they'll support modbus natively if modbus addresses are 16 bits and everything in Logix is 32 bits; obviously floats in modbus are 32 bits but you have to manually remember not to step on your own feet, so to speak. What I really love about ethernet/ip is that I can just pack/unpack everything in arrays and use a Message to send it. Super easy, which is why I love AB compared to Scadapack. But we'll have to see.

The micrologix 1400 might also be a good fit for your application depending on the io counts

I'll take a look at this also!

you could use a red lion datastation to convert from ethernet to serial.. but honestly, you are going the wrong way with this. I would just change the radios out to ethernet and be done with it.

What's going to be on the "Central" station; a SCADA computer, or a central PLC type controller ?

I agree, this is a challenge. I don't think I've ever seen it done.

I would call Real-Time Automation in Wisconsin, and ask if their "515 RTA ENI" device has a DF1 -> IP address routing table in it.

Even if you have to buy one to test it out, it's probably worth it if you have any 1761-NET-ENI devices in the field, as the RTA device is a very good future replacement for the Net-ENI.

Maybe I am old fashion, but I am really not to fund of Ethernet in a control environment.
I would stick with the serial all the way true, in my world it is rock solid :)

If they are a water utility they should consider the benefits of DNP3. Works over serial, Ethernet, is routable and data logging is part of the protocol. So no loss of compliance data if your link goes down.

The SCADAPack 575 runs Unity Pro style logic. the software is called Remote Connect and is free. Have a chat to your Schneider Rep.

1000 times better than the old 300 series stuff!