LON bus

karlek

Hello everyone,

Before starting the thread, I did my homework by searching threads about Lon, but found very little information (none) :)

I have already got the insight into LON bus by reading several materials available online and got into basics, binding of the variables by software called "LonMaker", etc.

My task is to integrate Viessmann Vitoplex 300 boiler used for heating into existent Building Management System. Apart from using LON bus, there is also possibility to use LON bus/Modbus gateway but for now I would like to stick with LON bus because I haven't had experience with it before (and the gateways are relatively expensive) - so it is a chance to learn something new :)

The questions I have:

1) If I got everything right, I need LonMaker Integration Tool (https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Echelon%20PDFs/370xx-324_1-25-11.pdf) that can be bought from Echelon. Are there any free versions of the software as it is a little expensive for one-time project (doubt it, but just asking)? Can everything (configuration of the network and LON devices) be done with the Standard version of the software or do I need Professional?

2) Has anyone maybe had an experience with Viessmann Lon devices? I have read on another forum that their LonBus is a bit "crappy" so maybe I am better off going with Modbus in the start? Forgot to mention, PLC I am using is Beckhoff Bus Controller with KL6401 LON Bus terminal that can be configured using Beckhoff KS2000 software so I basically just need the software to configure the other side of the network (Viessmann boiler).

3) Are there any other specifics about Lon which can cause me problems in the process of getting the PLC <-> boiler communication to work?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
LON is a building automation protocol, that's why you find little reference here. This site is geared more toward industrial automation.

However, the task of integration is similar no matter what the protocol. Most your questions are regarding specific software functionality and you are better off asking the vendor about them.

However, I would say that even before you do that, start with your building management system and work down stream. See what your BMS can natively communicate and go from there, keep track of the hardware and software layer.