Issue with 1769-L33ER comms

rleon

Hi everyone:

I have some comms issues with the 1769-L33ER CPU. I have this CPU in a EtherNet/IP network, using fixed IP, with a FTView SE 8.2
(Server, Studio and 3 Clients) and others ControlLogix in the same network. All devices using fixed IP address. A typical distributed application.

Some times the FTView lost comms with this CPU (alarm banner showing lost communications and the display showing "invisible" animations for tags of that CPU) for about 10 seconds and then recovers up. This issue happens random, but about 2 or 3 times per hour. During this "fall time", operator obviously cannot interact with the display

Trying to test if its a network issue, I left connected Studio 5000 with the program online. When 1769-L33ER lost comms in FTView, the Studio 5000 continues online without problems (including allowing editing online). Also, during the comms lost, I can send a ping command to the IP address and port responds ok.

The other test is leave Studio 5000 online for several hours and never lost communications. When I come back and check again after several hours, the program continues online.

CPU is using about 1,2 MB of logic memory, system Overhead Time Slice is configured in 35% reserved for System Tasks. In the web page, not showing errors in EtherNet/IP diagnostics.

Any help is welcome
Thanks

If I'm reading right, you've tested that the PLC is still on the network, but were you able to test if the HMI is still on the network? Can you ping the FactoryTalk server and clients while the issue is occuring?

I would check that all of the FactoryTalk devices are set up for static IP addresses, first thing. Is there any chance that another device on the network is set up for the same IP address and they are "fighting" each other?

Thanks for your answer.

All devices (computers and PLC) are with static IP addresses. No IP address is repeated. When the issue happens, I can ping the Server and clients. And the others PLCs are still online because I can see the tags and animations in the others FTView displays.