Factory Talk Metrics

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a customer which we fitted FT Metrics around 2 years ago.

It has been a constant pain in the ***. This year I have migrated most of the tags from Metrics into the PLC, shift counters, downtime timers, running time timers, current counts etc etc.

All the Metrics is doing now is reporting everything to an Excel sheet with the Vantage Point addin. I then use a script in window scheduler to open the excel sheet, refresh the data and close it, then email it out to the customers' email list. This works great and he is a happy Texan!

Today Metrics has just gone down with yet another bizarre error for no good reason after limping along fault free for 6 months and I have no idea why.

What I want to be able to do is collate data from tags in his Compact Logix controller and present in an Excel sheet that will refresh every 10 seconds or so. This is then displayed on a screen at his line. Every hour I want to be able to then email this out with the snapshotted data.

I really don't want to work with Metrics anymore as it, well its pretty poor.

How can I ditch Metrics altogether and perform the above?

I have used a mango m2m from infinite automation to automatically populate excel reports with data from a PLC and e-mail them. It is reliable software and it is great to put nice plots right in people's inbox. We used to use wonderware reports but mango is much better value. https://infiniteautomation.com/