Importing String Length into Excel from Controllogix

downey18

Hello,
I am trying to import machine data from a Controllogix PLC (L71) into an excel spreadsheet for my operations people to view from their cozy desk. I am using the Copy DDE/OPC Link method in RSLinx from my online processor topic. I can import most of the data easy-peasy as they are just decimal imports, but I am struggling with importing strings.
I have found previous threads that describe how to import strings and convert the data from decimal to ascii, which was very helpful. But the string I am trying to import has data of varying length. So the first import it may be 9 characters long and the next may be 5. How can I control the length of the string to import in Excel? I know there's a block size option in the RSLinx copy part, but is there a way to have that read the length of the string and adjust accordingly? I guess what I'm asking is there a way to cut off the imported string data based on it's length? Thank you in advance!!

If the strings in the logix were defined with custom length, you can try to copy them to a string array with standard length.
Or on the Excel side, you can use LEN & MID function to cut to the length you need

This is an example of the DDERequest I use all the time to pull a recipe name from the PLC. It doesn't seem to care what the string length is, so I suspect it covers what you're after.

Cells(1, 4) = DDERequest(rslink, "Recipe.Name,L1,C1")

Hope it helps.