Using FactoryTalk ViewPoint to Display on a Smart TV

kuriger9

I was able to use ViewPoint to publish pages from my PanelView Plus 6 so that I can view the page from my computer's web browser (just typed in the IP address of the PanelView). I had to install Silverlight and it only worked on Internet Explorer. I'd like to use a smart TV to display information out on the factory floor, but after doing some research it seems that I won't be able to install Silverlight on a smart TV. I'd also like to pull up the published page on my cellphone, but I'm getting the same error saying that I need to install Silverlight. I have Machine Edition (ME) 8.2. Do you have any ideas how to get around this? Am I screwed if I use a platform that doesn't allow Silverlight to install? I don't know of any smart TV's that run the compatible OS.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think you might be screwed. I had a hell of a time getting ViewPoint to work on a new installation just recently because of the silverlight issue.

I hope to god RA have realised that silverlight is going the same way for ViewPoint as Watcom did for the PanelView Plus, and are already planning a migration.

A simple solution could be a Windows HDMI Stick for your smartscreen, i guess silverlight should run on it.
And for your phone, as Panelview Plus Supports VNC, maybe it works from Android (but i never tried it). If not, connect with TeamViewer to the HDMI Stick, on wich
the runtime runs.

According to https://pwaldman.com/factorytalk-viewpoint-8-1-html5-support/ they changed from silverlight to html5.

Last edited:
I think you might be screwed. I had a hell of a time getting ViewPoint to work on a new installation just recently because of the silverlight issue.

I hope to god RA have realised that silverlight is going the same way for ViewPoint as Watcom did for the PanelView Plus, and are already planning a migration.

I agree it's annoying.

A simple solution could be a Windows HDMI Stick for your smartscreen, i guess silverlight should run on it.
And for your phone, as Panelview Plus Supports VNC, maybe it works from Android (but i never tried it). If not, connect with TeamViewer to the HDMI Stick, on wich
the runtime runs.

According to https://pwaldman.com/factorytalk-viewpoint-8-1-html5-support/ they changed from silverlight to html5.

Good idea. I might try the Azulle Quantum Access Mini PC Stick. Thanks!