New to forum- first question

Bucky

First of all, howdy! I have learned a lot the last few days just following the threads on this site- you seem like a great group. I am a reletively new mechanical engineer, and have a desire to learn more about PLCs both to be more competetive in the market, and because I have several hobbies that could benefit as well. My first question is has anyone heard of CTC controllers? I have their low-end unit: www.ctc-control.com/products/2601.asp
I know that this unit can do "stuff", but I really want to learn the programming of the mainstream controllers. What is your advise as far as a reasonable controller and company that I could learn the fundamentals with, or should I just learn this company's proprietary software, and go on from there?

Thanks in advance,

Bucky

Depending on your time frame I would go on to learn TTL Logic first.

With $20 of hardware and a book there is no limits to what you can accomplish.

Then if you still are interrested you should have no problem porting this knowledge to any brand.

Logic is not brand specific only Accountants are. 👨🏻‍🏫

Get Phil's book and/or video here and also grap the eval verison of LogixPro (sp?) from www.thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html after that if you still haven't lost your interest, consider getting used Allen Bradley PLC from eBay so you can do some REAL stuff. Yes, ladder logic is all the "same" but AB is the defacto standard here in the US and it looks good on the resume.

I don't know what your budget is, but it's hard to beat Automation Direct's prices.

D0-05DR $99.00
PC-PGM-105 $99.00
D2-DSCBL $30.00

For $228.00 you can have a PLC to practice on including the software to program it. There is lots of AD stuff out there.

Other PLC manufacturers offer starter packages at reduced prices. Ask your local distributor.

Wow, funny you should mention the CTC 2061. I just had a customer have one of these go down.

They program in a state language that is different than anything else I have seen. For certain applications it does make a lot of sense but you won't find many peope jump on their band wagon.

A more traditional approach is have others have stated w/ getting Phil'd book and the logixpro stuff.

Good Luck.

...it's hard to beat Automation Direct's prices...

True, And I just received their catalog in the mail!

...CTC 2061...They program in a state language that is different than anything else...

Thats why I want to start off right; I'm sure my controller can be used for something, but won't help me on a resume.

Bucky

Steve Bailey said:
I don't know what your budget is, but it's hard to beat Automation Direct's prices.

D0-05DR $99.00
PC-PGM-105 $99.00
D2-DSCBL $30.00

For $228.00 you can have a PLC to practice on including the software to program it. There is lots of AD stuff out there.

Other PLC manufacturers offer starter packages at reduced prices. Ask your local distributor.

Good reccomend Steve, but if its in Bucky's budget, I'd go for the DO-06DR, $200.00 for the PLC, Realtime Clock, Built in Counter functions etc.. and GOBS of other features.. Great learning toy, and you can use it on a LOT of stuff..

kc9ih said:
Also, Allen Bradleys ML-1000 for $99.
regards.....casey

Remember. You have to purchase the programming cable for MicroLogix 1000 (10 points)

Part numbers:
Cable ($50) : 1761-CBLPM02
MicroLogix PLC ($99): 1761-L10BXB
( You have also other two options depending on AC or DC for the supply and the inputs)

Last edited:
OK, So I went ahead and placed this order, Can anyone recommend any changes/additions?

Shopping Cart
Item Code Short Description Price Quantity Stock
Status Total (US $) Fav
D0-06DR
DL06 20 DC IN / 16 RELAY MICRO PLC W/AC P/S
$215.00 [This item is currently in stock] $215.00

D0-06USER-M
USER MANUAL FOR DL06 INCL D0-06LCD INST.
$36.00 [This item is currently in stock] $36.00
D2-BAT-1
DL06D2-250(-1)D2-260 D3-350 BATTERY
$10.00 [This item is currently in stock] $10.00
D2-DSCBL
PC PGMING CABLE DL05/06 DL105 205 350 450
$30.00 [This item is currently in stock] $30.00
PC-PGM-BRICK
DIRECTSOFT PROGRAMMING S/W FOR 05/06/105 PLCS
$149.00 [This item is currently in stock] $149.00
Subtotal: $440.00

Bucky

Tim: said:
You gotta BUY the manual? :rolleyes:

Yes, you can download and print the manual, but for 36 bucks, the printed manual is not a bad investment (It comes in two volumes -- basics in Volume 1, more obscure stuff in Volume 2). I've been living inside Volume 1 for the last couple of weeks, and have really learned a lot. The manuals are high quality, large spiral-bound construction, in a handy-sized format. Consider it if cost is not a big issue.

Paula