How do I Write Address down to word level?

soop7667

I'm trying to move a value of zero into N16:4/6 on a SLC 5/03.

my rung looks like this

n16:4/0 b3/8
--]\[-------] [-----------------MOV
XIO XIC Source 0
OSR Dest N16:4/6

When I verify the rung I get an Error -

"Address must be specified to the word level"

I've seen some N addresses writen a different way than I use such as n16:4[n16:4/6] and tried that way but I think I'm missing something because it still returns an error.--
"Invalid File Type Specified"

Can Anyone turn on the lights for me?

A word address is like this: N7:x where x represents 0-255.

A Bit address is like N7:64/x (where x is the bit 0-15....or controllogix 0-31)

You are not specifying the WORD level. You cannot write a integer to a BIT level.

Good Luck.

This ought to do it.

N16:4 N16:4 N16:4
--] [------]/[-------( )-
06 06 06

Function block instructions like MOV operate over all sixteen bits of the word. They can't be used to ste or clear individual bits.

To set Bit 06 with a word-level instruction, you could use the OR function. N16:4 OR 64 --> N16:4

To clear Bit 06 with a word-level instruction, you could use the AND function. N16:4 AND 65471 --> N16:4. You might need to use -65 instead of 65471.

The MOV Instruction had a N at the beginning of the "16:4/6" befre I Verified the rung

Last edited:
Never Program using an integer to bit level that much.
Just guessing here can you use an OTU???

N16:4 B3 N16:4
--]/[---(osr)---(otu)
0 8 6

Mickey got there while I was typing

Last edited:
So an OTU would move a value of 0 into N16:4/6?

OK-OK I put that into my simulation rack and it looks like it will work fine. Thats a neat trick thanks! I'll let you know if it works after I put that into the machine PLC - oh one more question -
The bit which I am making a zero is togled by a maintained touch screen button on a PV550 and it only has a write address associated - If I move a value of zero into n16:4/6 will the maintained touchscreen button pick up on that or do I need to set up the PanelView application to read that bit address?

Last edited:
Yeah that what I thought - Thankyou
The states are already set up - "Center ON" or "Center Off"
Of coarse I think I will change it to "Center UP" and "Center DOWN" Since thats the whole start of this lil logic edit -
See "Center on" means that a centering pin is in the up or unlocked position - And center off means it's in the down or Locked position. This entire control panel was an upgrade from an old stepper switch and control relay panel - it was also the programmers first real project of this size. Anyhow a lot of things were left in an unfinished condition if you ask me. If my guys don't watch it they put the machine in hand while it is moving and if Center is "Center Off" the pin drops down into the locked position - yet the machine is still enabled to move - theres no interlock for it in the logic - So then my "Center Pin" - my locking devise get ripped off the machine and I gotta go straighted it out in a 100 ton press. This is why I need to get this bit set to ON when they put the machine in hand. This way they can keep on doing what they have been and the logic just works right around the most common screw up these guys make.