sqaure d powerlogic ,modbus,ab plc

drewcrew6

Looking at possibly tying this all together. Found an AB modbus card from prosoft. Does any one know is this a fesible solution. We need to at least monitor average voltage on our substation to bring caps on and off line, under certain conditions, times,etc. Our voltage that the powerlogic modules monitor is 13,200.

Currently we are also looking at using the 4-20ma output on the powerlogic. But if it is feasible then we may go onto modbus and grab more info from the powerlogic modules. The powerlogic modules are a mix of the 3020 series and 2000 series, maybe more but not sure.

As far as I know those 2 are both modbus. We will have to purchase the i/o modules for the powerlogic modules which some have been outdated so that may be a challenge or upgrade to I think 4000 series???

Any info, thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Drewcrew6

I have used the Prosoft modules with a variety of devices on Modbus. They work great, tech support is good, and setup is simple.

I will also be treking down this road shortly. I am using the Prosoft Modbus card for the SLC500 platform. I will be communicating to several ABB ACS550 drives. Tom is right, the support seems very good.....and they have sample code for the SLC's, seems pretty straightforward. It's one of my upcoming projects, I have all the components on order, I will be starting it in a few weeks. If I run across any anomalies with the Prosoft card, I'll post them here.

Greg

Okay I found out they ordered new powerlogic moules but not the analog cards yet. Still waiting to hear what they want to do.

We currently can view the powerlogic info over the ethernet, so I'm asuming that the conversion module is a master. If so will I still be able to get info into the prosoft modbus card? (Not understanding the capabilities of a master or slave modbus "node".)

Does anyone know a good site for starting out with modbus? Searched around and a lot of hits but nothing has really stuck out and I know nothing about it so maybe I'm just looking for somehing that isn't there.

Thanks
Drewcrew6