S7300 Addressing (Again)!

Kidblue

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, hope somebody could point me in the right direction. First time using S7300. Have managed to configure hardware, cpu etc, download programme, go online, monitor digital I/O - all ok. When i try to download a network that addresses the AI8 module i get errors. All i'm trying to do is view the contents of CH1 of the module by moving it to MW100. I get the error (i think?) that the address i'm using is 'illegal'. I'm using the address the hardware manager assigns(IW288), but no joy. If i change it to IW28 for example it allows me to download it, but obviously i can't then view it.

I appreciate this is very basic, and i've searched the forum for previous posts, just getting a bit bogged down now.......... :(

Any help would be appreciated.

s7300_ai_add.jpg

IW : digital Inputs
PIW : analog Inputs

for example:

L PIW 288
T MW100 //analog input-value into MW 100

L IB 4 // inputs 4.0 -- 4.7
T MB 10 //8 digital inputs in MByte 10

same goes for outputs:
QB : digital outputs
PQW : analog output

Polle

Thanks Paul and others, that nailed it! Bit confused by the "IW : digital Inputs" thing though, i'm just using I0.0 etc for the digital inputs and it seems to work fine?? (or have i mis-interpreted what was said?) :confused:

Thanks anyway. :)

you can addres digital i/o as a bit, like you do with I 0.0 but you can also transfer them as a whole byte or word at once (can be very usefull) for example
QB 4 = [Q 4.0 .. Q 4.7] and also
MB 10 = [M 10.0 .. M 10.7]
MW 10 = [MB 10 .. MB 11]
MD 10 = [MB 10 .. MB 13]

Polle

Polle, you must have misunderstood something.
Kidblue, your problem is accessing area that does not exist on your CPU.
With address I* (*=B, W, D) you reach so called Process Image - that is memory in your CPU where state of real IO is stored. But this area is usually very limited in space (on S7-300s it's usally ca. 256 bytes for inputs and another 256 for outputs). Trying to read IW288 it reaches out of limit.
On the other hand reading PIW288 accesses IO module (i.e. IO card memory) directly.
If you moved your IO card addresses below 256 limit (in HWConfig) then you could read with IW address freely.

well, i allways use system selection, wich for analog I/O starts from adress 256.
Don't see any use of analog I/O in the PI anyway.

Polle

Think your wrong Jacekd.

The picture says system select. and the adress shown kan always be accessed by means of Ix(.x) however analog values must always be adressed as PI(W) (by the way the P stands for Proces, logically adressing with PIW should be accessing your proces image and not the other way around)

Correct me if i'm wrong :cool:

(S7 won't be wrong: banghead )

Hello Rverhoeven;
Correct me if i'm wrong

The P in PIW/PQW means Periphery; it is not a process image access but a direct access on the IO modules, that is implemented at the moment it is requested (not maintained in the process image for a complete scan, as digital IOs are scanned).

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

I think Daniel's right there, certainly in the original German, the "P" stands for "Peripherie", otherwise known as hardware interface, i.e. direct access to the hardware.

Dear Rverhoeven,
Looks like you are wrong. And I can assure you that access to "analog values" via I(W) address is possible and depends only on hardware configuration.
Possibly you mixed up PII (Process Image of Inputs), which is part of CPU internal memory; with PI* (*=B, W, D) which stands for Peripherial Input Byte, or Word, or Doubleword.

imho : IW (or IB or ID etc..) will only work when address < 256.

so in this case : use PIW to read the input.

eg :
L PIW288
t MW100

SaenenDirk said:
imho : IW (or IB or ID etc..) will only work when address < 256.

Not 100% true.
For CPUs 312, 313C, 313C-2, 314, 314C-2, 315-2 - <128
For CPUs 317-2 - <256
For CPUs 412-1, 412-2 - <4k
For CPUs 414-2, 414-3 - <8k
For CPUs 416-2, 416-3, 417-4 - <16k.