BBC veritron dc drive

owrak

Dear Sirs,

The drive of the machines using BBC Veritron DC Drive like a photo.
I don't know what is type because there are no markings or plates.
Does anyone can help me what is type of this drive?
Eny manual to operate, configurate and test please?

I do not have any documentation for my machine.
I have a problem with the drive - 3 dc motors are ok, bbc the drive has AC power (transformer 2-phase 400V/200V) but the motors do not work.
To check bbc I need to know what he needs to work.

I really need any advice about this.
I am looking forward to hearing your all of advices.

Thank you at advance..

bbc veritron.jpg

A search on this forum got you your answer:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=67640

Yes, I saw it. That's why I came across this forum.
But it is a different type of drive.
My motors have 6 terminals: 2-current, 2-tacho and 2-thermal.
This drive has an output to the rotor and stator - how its works?
I am sorry but dc motors and thyristor drives are "black hole" for me.

Last edited:
That brings back memories
It look to me like an old DC Single Phase DC drive
Late 50s early 60 era no vacuum tubes so I am thinking early 60s during the transom from tubes to solid state.
the motor you describe sounds like a series wound DC motor. the only have 2 power connections A1 and A2 or sometimes A+ and A-. the armature and field are in series.
If that is the case then DO NOT I repeat DO NOT disconnect the motor from the load and try to test run it. Bad things will happen.
As the you description of the power source I don't think it was 2 phase but single phase.
If I has=d a better picture of the terminals on the board I may be able to of more help.

To my knowledge 2 Phase power was only used for short time in the north east US. we stopped using before WWII in favor of the current 3 phase system we use today.
I know that people from the other side of the big water still refer single phase 120 / 230V systems as 2 phase but it is not it's still single phase
2 phase uses 4 wires 2 for each phase the phases are 90 de apart compared to single at 180 de and 3 phase at 120 de

Replace the drive with a newer version or better yet replace the system with an AC motor and a VFD you will be future ahead in the long run.

The merger of BBC with Asea to create ABB took place in 1988 I believe, before the explosion of the digital age began. That drive is likely approaching 30 years old now at best, maybe older. So unless someone took the time to scan a paper manual on that drive into digital format, then post it on a website and maintain that website continuously for 25+ years, nothing will exist on the web. Most likely even the parts you need to fix anything on it are no longer available. It's time to replace it.

Last edited:
That brings back memories
It look to me like an old DC Single Phase DC drive
Late 50s early 60 era no vacuum tubes so I am thinking early 60s during the transom from tubes to solid state.
the motor you describe sounds like a series wound DC motor. the only have 2 power connections A1 and A2 or sometimes A+ and A-. the armature and field are in series.
Yes, machine looks least 40 years old.
I do not know what the engine looks like in the middle, but when supplying 18VDC power to the motor terminals, the motor was running. At the weekend I was interested in this topic - the drive gets 240 V AC on the AK clamps, also gets the speed signal X1:6/X1:7 (from pdf document GLBI625), all fuses are OK. On connector X1:3 it should be a output signal "drive ready for commands" but it is not there.
If that is the case then DO NOT I repeat DO NOT disconnect the motor from the load and try to test run it. Bad things will happen.
As the you description of the power source I don't think it was 2 phase but single phase.
If I has=d a better picture of the terminals on the board I may be able to of more help.
Thanks for the information because I have this drive in the workshop, I will have to load it in a substitute.

Replace the drive with a newer version or better yet replace the system with an AC motor and a VFD you will be future ahead in the long run.
The owner of the machine is not willing to replace the drive due to the cost

It's time to replace it.
I know that, but owner ...
Thank you all for your interest in my problem, special thanks for BryanG and iant for providing pdf in the subject: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=67640

I will be tray fix this drive on my workshop and post more informaction and photos.

Last edited:
it's not worth the time to repair, after you spend the time to fix it something else will go bad and you are bac doing it again. Unless you think your labor is free it's much cheaper to replace it then repair it.

look at these the have a very good line of DC drives at a good cost

http://bardac.com/

As for loading the drive it's not the drive that's the problem it's the motor. the only thing limiting the motor speed on a series wound dc motor is the load on the motor shaft. if you remove the load the motor speed can very quickly accelerate to a speed that will cause the motor to explode. you ca bench test the drive without any problems but in this case it not worth the time.

Test the motor or better yet send it to a good motor shop and get it checked out.

This drive is powering 3 motors switched by contactors.
Problem is drive not 3 motors.

I try fix, if dosen't work owner must by new drive or drive+motor.

you can learn at any time

Yes, I saw it. That's why I came across this forum.
But it is a different type of drive.
My motors have 6 terminals: 2-current, 2-tacho and 2-thermal.
This drive has an output to the rotor and stator - how its works?
I am sorry but dc motors and thyristor drives are "black hole" for me.

Please see attached file.

Please see attached file.
I know about DC motors and thyristor drives something, it's for me very old solution. When I was born this type of drives are displaced by AC servomotors. I try repair some thyristor drives but this type of drive is very unsable, one mistake and boom - fuses blowed.

Thanks for pdf file.