Historian installation

hovsepian

Hello,

My name is Christian. I'm new in PLC programming. I am trying to install FactoryTalk Historian on a Windows 10 Pro Desktop. I have installed several programs successfully (including Microsoft SQL Server 2012), but when I want to install the FactoryTalk Historian Server I get an error. It reads:

"You can install FactoryTalk Historian SE Server on a server computer that meets these requirements:
-It runs one of the following Microsoft Windows server operating systems: 2008R2 64-bit with service pack 1, 2012 64-bit, 2012 R2 64-bit, and newer versions.
-It is not a domain controller.
The installation will be aborted now."

Will this mean that I can't run Historian in the same computer with the FactoryTalk View SE? Do I need to install a different operating system on this computer?

Thank you very much for the help.

I strongly recommend following the install instructions step-by-step. I am not familiar with FT Historian but for FT View SE installations I had that installation book highlighted and marked for everything and the order of install.

If you blindly install surely you will have problems. If the installation instructions say a server OS is required, then a server OS is required. If the installation instructions say it can't be installed with SE, it can't.

Don't just try to install FT software to see what happens.

I did follow the installation guide step-by-step, but I couldn't find any operating system requirements until the error that I am getting. What I don't want to do is buy an operating system software without being sure it is completely necessary.

FT Historian SE server always require Server OS. It is basically a re-branded OSI PI historian.

In the past, I was able to get it installed on a Windows 7 Pro machine, barely but that was over 2 years ago and they might have changed the install routine. With PI, there's a huge installed base with a lot of people to help you out but not so much with FT Historian. You can give Rockwell a call but I doubt the will help you out because they don't want to take on the liability of Windows 7 puke on you.

Your best bet maybe a local FT Historian guy that work for the distributor or local Rockwell office.

eta: realized that you are talking about Windows 10. Now, I have never seen that done and worked. Also, I wouldn't put it on the same box as View. Along with the Interface, you will be putting way too much stuff on it. I would just buy a box with MS Server already pre-installed.

Last edited:
Hi Harryting,

Thanks for the input. I'll try to get someone local to give it a look. I will also try to contact Rockwell.

Thanks