Cont connect to a micrologix 1000

buzzardhead

I am need of some help connecting to a micrologix 1000. I have connected and downloaded programs to the PLC in the past. I had a program running for a few weeks then the FAULT LED was lit constantly and now i cant connect to the PLC. I am using RSLinx Lite.

If its a solid red fault then its shot and needs to be replaced, if its blinking you can work with that and reload the program or clear the fault

What is the full catalog number for the MicroLogix 1000 controller? (1761-???)

Definitely check you have a good and correct voltage supply to this controller and wired to the correct terminals. A low or incorrect voltage supply will result in a solid FAULT LED on power up. Resolving such a voltage issue should remove the solid FAULT LED condition.

Is it still connected to the same voltage supply as the last time you successfully worked with it?

Example:

MicroLogix 1000 1761-L16BWA DC INPUTS RELAY OUTPUT AC SUPPLY

85 - 264 VAC connected to L1 & L2/N

Regards,
George

Thanks for the info guys. The plc has been powered up before and downloaded to one month ago. I removed the PLC the panel and powered it up directly. Still has the red fault light light. I read an article about some micrologix PLC's being faulty but the serial number of mine didnt fall in line with the recall.

Follow up posting tips...

buzzardhead said:
Thanks for the info guys...

For my part, you are most welcome.

Your reply has gone some way in further enlightening us here but I also asked a couple of specific questions which you have not quite answered...

Geospark said:
What is the full catalog number for the MicroLogix 1000 controller? (1761-???)...

This is not just for my benefit or only required if it might be a supply issue. Posting a product's full catalog number is good practice in general when seeking help here on the Forum. It can narrow our focus within a product range where finite details on a particular model could be central to the issue. That is why I gave an example - so you could reply with the equivalent information for your controller.

buzzardhead said:
...I removed the PLC (from) the panel and powered it up directly. Still has the red fault light...

I'm not treating you with disrespect here. I'm just very particular and also we cannot see what you can see. You most likely do know which supply voltage it should be using and have indeed supplied the controller correctly, whether in the panel or not. But as you have not given the catalog number or the actual supply voltage you are applying, we still do not if you are possibly incorrect here somewhere.

Simply stating the catalog number, the supply voltage you are applying, and the fact that you are confident that all is correct with the supply voltage, would have saved all this somewhat wasted time in second guessing your last reply.

However, if you are happy with where you are at with this then I do wish you well.

All I was/am attempting to do is save you tossing an apparently "bricked" controller when there was/is a slim chance that it is recoverable.

P.s. pardon my manners - Welcome to the Forum!

Regards,
George

Last edited:
The catalog # is 1761-L16AWA. The supply voltage is 120. I removed the plc from the panel to remove loose wires from the scenario. The PLC was in working order and has been communicated with several times before. The fault/ communication issue has just came up.

Bright, there were no loose wires. I just wanted to remove the PLC from the panel in case there may have been. I still had the same problem with no wires other than power hooked to the PLC. When i inspected the rest of the panel i found no loose wires.