Failure PanelViews Connection in RSLinx

hhuong

Hi All, I am a beginner in PLC. Currently, I am trying to set up the communication between my laptop, SLC 5/03 and PanelViews 1000 in RSLinx. The PanelViews 1000 was connected to the SLC5/03 through the communication port. I have the cable (1784-PCM4/B) connected from the SLC 5/03 to my laptop which have 1784-PCMK/ B Card. However, I couldn't get the PanelViews communicate in RSLinx. Please help...
Thanks a lot.

The basic questions:

1) Which port on the SLC are you using to talk to the Panelview? (RS-232 or DH-485)

2) What is the whole part number on the Panelview?

3) What is the node number of the SLC?

4) What is the node number of the Panelview?

5) What is the node number of the Laptop?

6) Is the SLC and the PV communicating with each other?

7) Is the SLC and the Laptop communicating with each other?

8) What is the part number for the cable from the PV to the SLC?

Last edited:
1) Which port on the SLC are you using to talk to the Panelview?
RS-232

2) What is the whole part number on the Panelview?
Panelview 1000 CAT#: 2711-T10C9 SER: B

3) What is the node number of the SLC?
4) What is the node number of the Panelview?
5) What is the node number of the Laptop?

Sorry. I am not really sure what these questions mean.

6) Is the SLC and the PV communicating with each other?
Yes, Because SLC re-act according to the input at PV.

7) Is the SLC and the Laptop communicating with each other?
Yes, I can see the SLC communicating in my RSLinx.

8) What is the part number for the cable from the PV to the SLC?
CAT#: 2706-NC13 SER:A

In RSLinx did you need to configure the PV 1000 terminal driver. You will need to know the answers to 3),4), & 5)

Question 3, 4 & 5

I am sorry. How can I tell the node number of SLC, Panelview and laptop? Is it something that I can find from the software configuration?

Explain exactly what you mean by this:

The PanelViews 1000 was connected to the SLC5/03 through the communication port.

I think that you have the PanelView plugged into the 9-pin Channel 0 RS-232 port of the SLC-5/03 and have your computer plugged into the RJ-45 jack on Channel 1 of the SLC-5/03.

These two communication ports are NOT the same network.

Post the exact part number of your PanelView terminal (it is printed on the back) and people may be able to help further.

Explain "The PanelViews 1000 was connected to the SLC5/03 through the comm. port"

The PanelView I used is 2711-T10C9 DH485(RS232) with Printer Port. I have a cable(2706-NC13 SER:A) plugged into the RS-232 (DH-485) Communication Port and the other end of the cable go to RS-232 port of the SLC-5/03.

Also, I have a 1784-PCMK/B Card in my laptop and the cable(1784-PCM4/ B) was plugged into the DH-485 port of SLC 5/03. In RSLinx, I choose 1784-PCMK driver during the configuration. I can see the SLC but not panelview in RSWho screen.

Try to configure the PV 1000 driver following these steps:
- Access RSLinx Software: Click on Programs>Rockwell Software>RSLinx>RSLinx - Click on Communications>Configure Drivers
Before going through the next step, make sure that:
- The PanelView 1000 terminal is powered
- The RS-232 cable is connected from the laptop to the PanelView 1000 terminal
Then:
- click on Auto Configure and enter the different parameters
- Click OK and close the Configure Drivers

To make sure that the PanelView 1000 terminal is connected, click on Communications>RSWho

Then click on AB_DF1-1, DH-485. If both nodes (laptop and PV 1000)appears in the window, the connection is made and the PanelView 1000 terminal can receive information from the PC.

I kind of had the same problem before but it was using a SLC 5/04 which used a DH+ network. So I don't know if that would change anything. But try it and see.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion, R-Phil. In my situation, the RS-232 cable was connected from PanelView to the SLC5/03 RS-232 port. So, if I choose your way, I would have to shut down the machine so that I can connect the panelview directly to my laptop. Is there any other way that I can access to the panelview in RSLinx through the SLC5/03, which all nodes (laptop, panelview, SLC5/03) appear in the RSWho window?

Well I don't know.
I know that in my situation I had to connect the PV to the PC in order to get those two to communicate. Maybe there is a way but I couldn't figure that out. So I had to switch the cable everytime from PC to SLC and from PC to PV. And it was either PC and SLC nodes or PC and PV nodes in RSVWho window.
On the flip side, what are you trying to do? Are you trying to download something on to the PV 1000?

Did you try to call AB technical service and see what's the solution.

When you set up a communications network, you have to keep track of where the info is coming from and where it is going, and the source of the info and how it is being transmitted.

In your case you have one info link from the PanelView to the PLC, the PanelView is the source of the message instruction and the PLC is responding to inquiries for data.

As Ken pointed out, there is no direct data path between the two ports on the PLC, so there is no simple way to hook into the PLC and talk to the PanelView. This is actually an advantage most of the time. When you hook up the laptop to the other PLC port you are establishing a data path between the laptop and the PLC, which allows you to monitor the PLC and still see what is going on on the PanelView, because you are taling to different ports on the PLC, which service the data requests from the laptop and the PanelView independently.

When you want to connect the laptop to the PanelView you have to tie in to a port on the PanelView that is able to accept program downloads and so on. The printer port on the PanelView can't do this - it isn't set up that way internally. You have to hook up to the "PLC" port with the laptop so you can download configurations.

You have a couple of choices here. The way we normally do it is to keep the machine and the PLC running, unplug the cable running from the PanelView to the PLC, and plug in a cable from the laptop to the PanelView instead. Do your configuration download, restore the cables, and you are back in business. The PLC logic keeps running during this entire operation.

If for some reason you really need to talk to the PanelView and the PLC at the same time you need to install an AIC+ module. This has three ports. With DH-485 protocol and the proper driver and correct cables running in the PLC, the PanelView, and the laptop you can have the three devices talking together at the same time on the DH-485. We haven't have much luck with this, however, because the PAnelView often brings down the network. You can't use the standard A-B cable, but instead you need your own cable that has just transmit, receive, and ground (2<->2 3<->3 5<->5). The PLC can connect to the terminal strip, the laptop to the Din-8-Pin prot, and the PAnelView to the DB9 port on the AIC+. For just downloading to a single PanelView it isn't worth the effort.

It sounds like you are trying to use the 5/03 as a gateway between the RS-232 DF1 port and the DH-485 port. I don't know if you can do this with the 5/03.

I DO know, however, that in the processor configuration under the CH0 tab there are two bit configuration values at the bottom of the left hand column. They enable and disable passthru on the DF1 and DH-485 channels. You may be able to set these in such a way that you get out to the PV. If it works right you should be able to connect your laptop to the DH-485 port on the plc. Start RSLinx and view the PLC through the DH-485 driver. The plc should show CH 0 with a + next to it. Expanding the + will allow you to see the PV if passthrough actually works.

Like I said, I've never done this and I can't test it. I don't even know if its possible. But this is what you would need to do if it was.

Keith

I have another suggestion: Since you can't do "ONLINE" editing with Panelview anyway. Use a PCMCIA ATA Flash card to do program transfer to/from Panelview.

I used to see them on eBay for <$10 each. Look for older type card with 2 to 8 MB of memory. Note: this is not the new "compact" flash card but rather the size that you plug into your laptop's PCMCIA slot.
I also had luck with buying a PCMCIA Compactflash adaptor + a CF (compactflash) card. This you can buy from Bestbuy/CompUSA. YMMV

All you have to do is copy or save the "Terminal" PV file with extension of .PVA to the card. Insert the card into PV slot and goto Config screen, select the one you want to load. No messy cable to mess with :)

Originally posted bu harryting:
I have another suggestion: Since you can't do "ONLINE" editing with Panelview anyway. Use a PCMCIA ATA Flash card to do program transfer to/from Panelview.

Now THAT'S a good idea that I hadn't considered.

Keith