ASCII to DF1

shaun croman

I have a bar code reader that gives an ascii output which needs to be connected to an allen bradley slc505 via its ethernet port (as the 232 port is connected to something else which may not be altered) My problem is that although I can bet a rs232 to ethernet convertor I cannot configure the convertor to output to DF1 for the SLC505. Does anyone know how best that I could do this or if there is a bridging convertor between the two that I could buy?

One suggestion is to install a basic module in the rack and send the ascii straight onto the PLC via this module.
Regards Alan

From your post I assume you already have a scanner that doesn't have an ethernet port?---or are you trying to figure which scanner to buy?

You can use a multiplexer to split the RS-232 port into two ports.
The resulting two ports can then be individually setup to run either a generic ASCII or a DF1 protocol. Many of my customers have done exactly what you are trying to do.
Please visit www.tomantron.com and see how MuxiPort can help you to
solve this problem.

The basic module is your best bet. We have a similar setup, sick scanner rs232 -> moxio nport express (serial to ethernet) -> pc running rsview with VB handling input from the scanner -> slc5/05

it's way to complex and creates way more failure points than are necessary. plus when the network traffic gets heavy it causes delays and is nothing more than a hassle.

if you did stick with the ethernet port you could use a rs232 to ethernet converter and a crossover ethernet cable between the converter and the slc.