another plc question

anz

Explain how system hardware, software, I/O and communication links are selected for a specific application.
You are required to specify the installation of a PLC which, will control a peg and ring assembly machine.
Explain the aspects you would consider when selecting:
1. I/O units
2. Power supply
3. Operating system
4. Type of communications hardware
5. Use of a field bus
6. Human Machine Interfaces (HMI)

Anz,

What you could do is attempt to answer you own questions, and post your answers and request comment. In other words, show some effort on your part and "these guys" will jump to assist you.

Do they have Cliff Notes in the UK? I bet we could make some serious money peddling that type of booklet with the Q & A for HNC's PLC course.

The only down side is that we'd have to come up with a way to keep Paul Lucas and the other guys from ending up in porximity with the graduates, and a way to keep them from endangering public safety, and a way to keep them from ............

Oh well, it was a thought.

I never took any classes in automation. So, I'm afraid you're technically more qualified to answer this question than I am; because on paper, you've got more schooling.

Woah....Theories!
My biggest fear! I have no theoritical knowledge on PLC, but I wish you'd do your homework first then ask for suggestions. Maybe post your answer and we can try to check.
I can only answer to your question 6:
The more user-friendly the system, the better. :D

The answer

Specification is as follows:

Explain the aspects you would consider when selecting:
1. I/O units

Need some

2. Power supply

Umm need one

3. Operating system

will winXP fit on one of these things...

4. Type of communications hardware

2 glasses joined by a really long bit of string

5. Use of a field bus

Make sure it has good tyres or it will get stuck.....or NEVER drive a bus in a field

6. Human Machine Interfaces (HMI)

I'm not going to answer the whole thing for you...I've done enough

OR, in other words, quit the course if you don't wanna do it.

Well,

We have Phil's Notes here!

If'n students don't buy the book, why can't they's at least look up at the top and "Learn PLC's"!

regards.....casey

Maybe the "What is..." thread should just automatically pop up each morning,

or perhaps a studedent posting section,

oh never mind.

I am glad to see were the direction of this thread is going. Whether this person is a student or not I see people write in looking for information and clearly not doing there homework first. I can understand if some wrote in saying something like please point me in the right direction, but to just flat ask how to choose a PLC…..come on now! I’ll tell you how to choose a PLC and components HIRE AN INTERGRATER! And if your are a student please keep this in mind, most of us here suffered big time to learn automation, that’s what make us so good, if you are not willing to suffer along with us then you will get no help whatsoever.