blinking light

From the Logix 500 help file...

Free Running Clock S:4

You can write a 0 or a 1 to any of the 16 bits of this word. All bits of this word are assessed by the controller. The value of this word is zeroed upon power up in the REM Run mode or entry into the REM Run or REM Test mode. It is incremented every 10 ms thereafter.

RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000, 2001

Address the bit S:4/0 for 10ms on/off
S:4/1 for 20ms on/off
S:4/2 for 40ms on/off

etc...

Then XIC S:4/5 OTE O:0.0/0

pp

The quickest and easiest way to do this I have found is to stare at the light and open and close your eyes once per second. Additionally, it's very easy to vary the blink rate by changing the open and close rate.

I apologize for that bad joke but I just couldnt resist. When you decide to work with any device you should get the manual....ie RTFM.

In this case in the manual (1761-um003a-en-p.pdf) there are several programming examples. Reference E has a time driven sequencer, an on/off toggle using one PB.

These examples and reading the manual should give you many ideas on ways to make an output turn on/off...ie make a light blink.

GregPLC said:
rta53, I do have to say I got a laugh out of your response....

He beat me to it.

If you're looking for a quick and dirty pilot light strobe the S4 registers work just fine! Otherwise, you'll need to setup your own timers.

AK

don't use timers, that's for wimps - real guys count scans or do all kinds of fancy code

In my old age I am down do 6' 1", and perhaps 225 pounds.

Still, at 225, if this wimp falls on top of you, it will hurt.

Timers work just fine for blinky lites in my 9030 applications, and I always make at least one blink at the 1 second rate, and one at the one minute rate, to drive the electricians nuts.

best regards.....casey

Mark: Good Response.

Now, does he want to set it up to blink on or blink off with the positive leading edge of the cycle?

If the supply line comes in from the ceiling, (anti-vertical?), then we must compensate with an AC Rated flux capacitor, of at least 250% over-rating.

However, if the horizonal run of bus bars is silver-plated, then the muffler bearings must be down-sized to prevent "neck burns".

regards.....casey