PlC Battery Change

atatari

Hi there

We have different kinds of PLC in the plant AB,GE,IT,KOYO with different models for example our AB ones are: SLC 5/01 5/02 5/03 5/04
Micrologix and PLC5 and GE 90-30 series and junior.

My question is after how many years the PLC battery has to be changed? and what steps should be taken to change them? Is there any specific procedure?

Thanks,
:)

First of all, make sure you have a backup copy of the code in at least 3 different places. We change our batteries on a yearly basis, whether they need it or not, because at 1:00AM, you really do not want that call to go and load a program after a power faliure.
I always try to change the batteries with the power on, this way there are not many risks.

Last edited:
I used to work for a distributor of PLCs, and I have personal experience of batteries lasting in excess of 8 years, and this on a PLC that was powered off 90% of the time.

However, I would never recommend waiting that long. Even at the prices they get for their batteries, I'd recommend changing them annually. It's cheap insurance when you consider how much one hour of downtime could cost you.

The fire department recommends you change the batteries in your smoke detectors annually. Change the batteries in your PLC at the same time.