trouble with xp

stu96art

Hello,
I am new to the site and to PLCs. I can run a program that will download commands to the PLC using Windows 98 With a Virtual Manager. When I try to run the same program on XP with the same computer, it has communication problems. What do I need to do to get this to work on XP?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

What is the program and what brand of PLC and model #?

What's a 'virtual manager' that you are talking about?

What version of XP, which service pack?

I am using older software, WindLDR Version 1.03C with the idec MICRO3 PLC, TYPE FC2A-C10A1. When I said Virtual Manager, I meant Virtual PC. It allows me to run things in Windows 98 from my XP computer. I am trying to run this with xp pro, and I do believe sp1, but I am not totally sure. How could I check about sp1 or sp2?? I hope that this information will help and please let me know what I can do. I would really like to just be able to talk to the PLC, yet I do not have too much experience with them. Let me know what I should do and thanks in advance.

Right click on my computer then properties, under the general tab
you will see what SP you have.

Sorry, that was easy. I have sp1, and I did try to run WindLDR in compatability mode with windows 98, but it still did not work. The error that I am getting is that when I try to download a program to the PLC, the status bar increases at a very slow rate and almost completes, but will then say that there was a communication error and the download was not sucessful. I think that it is not talking to the PLC at all and the progress bar is just coded to increase if there is nothing happening. Let me know what you think and thanks for the quick responses.

I do not know. a) How can I find that out, and b) Where would I go to download the latest version and c) Do I need that?? Thanks

I do not have it. What is it and what is it used for??
Do I need this to communicate to the PLC? I am almost sure that I did download a program to the PLC and using the VirtualPC with Win98, without this RSLinx. Although I could be terribly wrong.

Last edited:
Since he isn't using an AB PLC, why would he need RSLinx?
It certainly won't work with the IDEC PLC he is using.

stu96art, According to the IDEC website, WinLDR is supposed to be compatible with Windows XP. It appears that the newest version is version 4.5 and can be found here.

It appears to be a free upgrade, but I didn't delve in to check it out fully.

Windows2000 and WindowsXP do not allow direct access to the com ports.
Win98 did allow direct access.
When you run inside of MS Virtual PC, the Virtual PC grabs the com port and allows access to Win98 and your program.

I suggest you contact the program vendor and see if they have an update available, if they dont then stick with the way that works.

Thanks, but I cannot upgrade to v.4.5 because my version is sooooo old. It seems that you have to have a 4.0 version or greater in order to upgrade to version 4.5. Basically I was hoping this would solve a bigger problem. I have other controls that work fine with Win98, yet when we try to run them using XP, it will run fine for a bit, then try to dump the entire program at once. I was hoping that this was a communication problem and that fixing this by communicating with the PLC through XP, I would also be able to fix my other communication problems. I hope that I have not scared anyone off, but I would greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thanks again in advance.

-- I did find out about these direct access problems, so I found something called PortTalk22 found at http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm .
I have tried so many ways to use this, but still no success. If anyone has anything, please let me know. Thanks

Last edited:
Since he isn't using an AB PLC, why would he need RSLinx?

ICKY812,
Your right, sorry for the confusion. Not sure why I thought he was using a AB PLC.
Mixing with another thread, or a senior moment?

Thanks, and I am really just trying to make the PLC work with XP. I am sure that this is done by others all the time, yet I do not know what I need to get access to the port(s). Let me know what you think, and thanks