Wireless RS485 or RS232

elevmike

We're working on a job that we're installing an RFID security system on the elevators and latter possably on 9 door strikes.

This is the situation.

The two elevator banks are 500ft apart, and the building entry doors are another 200ft to 500ft apart from each other. The entire system must be connected to a PC running the RFID tag authorization sofware in a security office in another building (1000ft away) on the same site. The origonal plan was to cable the main building and modem out to the security office. Cableing is getting to be a drag. All the ceilings are wet plaster, and the buildings on a slab. Also getting to the security office is a problem as there appears to be a lot of noise on the phone lines.

I looked at the stuff AD is selling but it seems expensive. :eek: So I looked at the B & B products but am unsure of it all. I got 10,000+ hits on google. Looking to spend about $200.00 per node. Looking for suggestions based on expierance..

Thanks. Mike.

I have not used B+B's products, even though I only a few miles from them.

Twenty Miles, that would br tricky!

Now, having played with some RF modems, and as a 40+ year radio enthusiast, and senior radio tech / communications engineer I'll expound.

800 / 900 mhz will be better suited for you then 2400/2.4 gig/ghz. Expect to use a dirrectional gain anteena at the furthest points, poiting in, and at the security office. Expect to have backup equipment, maybe even a "hot" system.

Perhaps two repeatrers in the middle.

$200 is probably the minimum.

I did a prison job in California 6 years ago with PC control, a couple of 9030's, and about 30 multilins for remote monitoring, load shedding, and other remote controls.

Distance was about 2,700 feet open space, system worked fairly well. LAN system was originally planned, but too much distance for reliability.

I have used datalinkand others .http://www.dataradio.com/2_2_3.html

Best one was for National Manufacturing Week quite a few years back, had several 9030's around the show,a couple of micro 90's, and an AB unit, linked together, with some interactive switches and lights. "Gee, look! I just pushed a button on this GE, and that light on the AB across the floor came on".

RF is wonderful, but we can do it with wires.

I know a couple of guys with AD stuph, and they are pleased.

Get some extras for the electric cart. Program some messages into the cart PLC to register on the display, such as "Come Home, NOW!!!". Push the button on the remote, and junior gets the message. If he is out of range, then he is grounded.

regards.....casey

Mike,
Shoot me an email with the products you are using. I do alot of card access system for elevators "Did the WTC in New York" Ive used most of the products out there and know what works and what will cause you service nightmares!!!!

[email protected]