slc channel 0 user configuration

cbohn

In the Sub-arctic Rain Forest region known as Chau
I'm ripping my hair trying to get my SLC 5/05 Ch 0 into User Mode. On the Channel Configuration dialog box "General" tab, Ch. 1 set for Ethernet, which is how I communicate with the laptop. Ch. 0 System Driver is shutdown adn the User Driver is set for ASCII. In the program, my ARD instruction shows an error 04h, which (according to Table 10.8 in the manual) decodes to "Cannot perform ASCII reads because the communicaiont channel is configured for System Mode". I assume that's because status bit S:33/3 is set to "1" instead of "0". First of all, I don't understand why this bit is a 1 instead of zero, and secondly why even in program mode it can't be changed to zero (Status file represented in binary radix).

Other than the channel configurtation, what else is there???? I'm certainly missing something. I also tried setting up Ch. 0 for user mode on a SLC 5/03 (using the DH485 port for laptop communication). I couldn't get that port to configure for user mode either.

HELP! banghead

Greetings cbohn,

I haven’t seen this one before ... so this is just a guess ... on the “Channel 0 – System” tab, set the “Driver” for “DF1 Full Duplex” instead of for “Shutdown” ... then on the “General” tab, set the “Mode” for “User” ...

if nothing helps, consider posting your .RSS file so that we can take a look at it ... maybe a fresh perspective will spot something that you’re overlooking ...

and welcome to the forum ...

Thanks Ron. Early on when I disabled the Ch.0 system, I didn't realize there was an option in that dialog box where the choice could be made for system or user (which disappears after system mode is disabled). It's not real obvious, and I wasn't born with the knowledge. Hopefully I'll be able to muddle through the remainder of this experiment using the regular rslogix helps, which I usually find to be very helpful 📚 . If not, I'll be back...

Hopefully I'll be of help to some other suffering soul in the near future.

By the way, any advice for putting hair back in??

Thanks again! (y)