Problem

ross.s

I got one Push button, one light. When I push the button the light must come on, push a second time light must go off.
No use of extra logic features, just a normally open bit, normally closed or coil.

Please help
Ross

ross.s said:
I got one Push button, one light. When I push the button the light must come on, push a second time light must go off.
No use of extra logic features, just a normally open bit, normally closed or coil.

Please help
Ross

Easy, use a maintained pushbutton....

Or search this site for flip flop.

Take the positive edge of the pushbutton and let's call it M0.1

X Q0.0 //XOR
X M0.1
= Q0.0 //light

Polle

Flip flop - toggle

Ross,

This is a very common student question. And one of the 1st exercises. The idea is for you to do some thinking on yor own. What we as is that you give it a try and post your answer, then we will provide assitance and comments. Otherwise it'll be like doing last weeks crossword puzzle with the answers to it in this weeks paper...What's the point??

Now the usual response to this type of suggestion is to go elsware to find the answer..let's see if your different...

Mike.

I think it's OK for students to copy code as long as they figure out how it works. If they don't, they wont pass either.
Just my opinion.
Are you a student Ross?

Polle

Last edited:
cheating

I also think it's okay for a student to copy answers, speeds up classroom evolution a little.....it weeds out the bad ones in the first semester, leaving more room for the students who really want to learn.

Re: cheating

GregPLC said:
I also think it's okay for a student to copy answers, speeds up classroom evolution a little.....it weeds out the bad ones in the first semester, leaving more room for the students who really want to learn.

If you copy without understanding it, you will never pass any test. If you don't copy, you spend much time re-inventing everything.

Re: Re: cheating

Polle said:

If you copy without understanding it, you will never pass any test. If you don't copy, you spend much time re-inventing everything.

It's not re-inventing everything!!!! It's called learning!!!!

If they can't learn the basics like a simple flip flop toggle ladder,
then how are they going to understand something later that they have copied that's a lot more difficult???????

In my opinion the real prupose of higher education is not to memorize but to learn to think. I think it was Henry Ford I that had two great quotes I always liked.

1) "Wheather or not you think you can do something, you're probably right."

2) "The most diffuclt type of work is thinking."

I once had a quarter term test in a high school geometry class. One question: "Provide the equation for how many diagonals can be placed in any given polygon. :eek: The issue hadnt been yet covered. The instructor later explained his purpose was to make us think, and not memorize. I provided the equation and the proof just as the timer went off, and the six studenents that did were moved to a different class...

RANT ON!

My lord, what are they teaching, or do they teach anything!

25 years ago, I thought about getting a federal grant to teach drafting. I ran across BSEE's who graduated ten years ago or more, that had no drafting, and couldn't read a schematic or even a blueprint for a mounting bracket.

I guess they just put questions on the black board, and the students self teach themselfs.

Figuring most students never find this site......

No I can start to understand when I go into a plant or get a frantic phone call, some of the really strange stupf I come across.

RANT OFF?

regards.....casey

Last edited:
When I push the button the light must come on, push a second time light must go off.

i was hoping he was not going to use a flip-flop.

Regardless of what instructions in a plc are used its ALWAYS going to be a flip flop circuit.

Code:
|     %I001                                              %M001
|-------] [----------------------------------------------(^)--
|
| 
|
|                                                                     
| %M001   %Q001                                          %Q001
+--] [-----]/[--+-----------------------------------------( )--
|               |
|%Q0001  %M0001 |
+--] [-----]/[--+
|

This is a GE (and other brand) example, the %M001 bit is technically a one shot (positive transition coil) which will fire for only one scan.