Controllogix D'Net -> 1782JDC -> Keyence

10dulkar

I have a Keyence Laser Micrometer LS 7501 to which I need to communicate using its RS-232 port. Since the rest of the machine is Devicenet I got a RS-232/Devicenet converter from WRC: 1782-JDC.

I need help on how to use my Controllogix processor to communicate here (to send and receive data). The default tag type for Devicenet is DINT and I need to send ASCII data to it. The STOD function doesnt seem to help me to convert the ASCII string to a DINT. I think I am missing something here.

I cannot just copy the string to the devicenet output array because I need to send some SINT identifiers (length and ID). Receiving it seems more straightforward to copy just the data from the outputs to SINT, but I havent gotten to that point yet.

Any help/examples appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

I happen to have a 1782-JDC here on my desk. Nice little unit. Pretty easy to configure. I usually end up creating an array of SINT data to handle the 1782-JDC data elements.

Can you point to the ASCII protocol that the Keyence sensor uses ? Knowing the framing and protocol helps you set up length and delimiter settings in the 1782-JDC.