Foundation Fieldbus Power Conditioner / Bench Test Setup

theDave2

I go to test out a FFB instrument that is in a panel, not connected to FFB 'cause there isn't any here and I'm needing to ship it Real Soon to the customer.

We got in a brand new Emerson 375 Field Communicator (after I load up the DD's and firmware update, O/S update, etc) and what do I find but that the 375 is a passive device and won't power the segment / FFB device.

[rant on]Emerson tells me I need a P/S, w/conditioner, w/terminators to form a segment on the bench. Wow, the only thing missing is the actual DeltaV controller. They should have put this in the 375. How else do you test/configure/setup a new FFB device off the main controller segment, huh ? :rolleyes: :D [/rant off]

Doing a little research shows that I should be able to use a 9-24vdc power supply and put a 50 ohm resister in series with the output to make a mini segment for testing this one device. I don't have time to quote/bid/buy/ship all the stuff that would be used on a *real* FFB network, as I just need to do a 10 minute test of this one device to make sure it's alive before shipping. I don't need to configure it as the customer will set it up for operation on their system.

Anyone use a similar quick setup for just connecting to one isolated FFB device to set it up ?

Thanks for the link, as I've done a couple of FFB designs already, wasn't much there other than standard FFB segment / network stuf.

I don't need to make terminators as I won't have a true segment as all the wire will only be about 2 ft. long, with only the 375, device, p/s and the 50 ohm resistor in series with the p/s should do it. I got the info from: http://www.analogservices.com/fbsupp2.pdf