Lost RSLogix500 floppies, acivation available

Rajan

Hi I lost the programming floppy discs of RSLogix500. But I have its acivation key. I want to reinstall the the software inj my computer. What is the solution?

The solution is to contact Rockwell http://www.rockwellautomation.com. I have never had a problem getting replacement media. They know who the original purchaser was based upon Serial Number. If you have the key disk, you have the Serial Number. Getting replacement keydisks after trashing one is another issue.

You can transfer an activation from one hard drive to another over a network. If the two computers are linked, map the destination drive to the one with the activation and use EVMove.

You may have to alter the contents of the destination's ROCKSOFT.INI file to tell it where the activation is.

You CANNOT transfer the activation to just any floppy. You can only transfer it to one with the proper serial number.

But do contact Rockwell's support to get a replacement floppy - if anything goes wrong (and it can), you can lose that activation, and then you're really stuck.

If all you are doing is re-installing the software then you don't need to worry about the activation key. The activation is written to the hard drive in a seperate area from the software. If you are still in support (it has been less than one year from the date of purchase or you purchase the yearly support renewal.) with the software then you can download the latest version from the Rockwell website at http://support.rockwellautomation.com/WebUpdates . You will need the serial number and the name of person that the software is registered to.

be careful!

I know that this doesn't apply in your case , but before moving any activation , whether by network or disk , make sure that no activations are being used at the time (RSLINX/LOGIX500/RSVIEW32 etc) or you may find that everything goes pear shaped and you lose the lot . (I forgot to shutdown RSLINX before moving an authorization , and yes I know its thick to do that , but sometimes in a tobacco factory with a machine not running .....you know the rest)

Just goes to show the importance of ALWAYS backing up software. When backing up your Rockwell software DO NOT FORGET THE KEY DISK!!! They make this difficult as the key disk must contain the VOLUME ID and Volume serial number. The volume serial number is generated based on the exact time and date the disk is formatted. However there are utilities available on the internet which will allow you to change the volume serial number through a DOS prompt. Once you have a disk with an identical volume serial number you can then just copy your key disk and have a usable copy. I keep the original in the firesafe and use the copy as my working copy. The courts have repeatedly upheld your right to make back-ups of your software as long as you are not using the backup as a way of circumventing licensing rules. And Cecil is absolutely right. If you are not a large customer currently buying lots of hardware getting a new key disk is almost impossible without jumping through considerable hoops and even then it is not going to happen quickly. Especially when you have an emergency and need access to your PLC yesterday!!!!

I have found early on when dealing with RSI to make a copy of the master disk. And yes their are many ways to do this. That way if you trash it you are not hosed by waiting and seeing if RSI will replace it or give you a reactivation code. You paid for the software, protect yourself.

How to make a Legal Copy of RSlinx Key Disk

I have a legal copy of RSLinx and work in a computer lab at home. How can I make a Legal Copy of the Master Key Disk. Thanks in advance....