Siemens Profibus Connection with ET200S

Derman0524

Hi there,

I'm having major issues in connecting a Siemens S7-300 315 with an ET200S through Profibus.

I've tried many methods but I'm really not sure if they are even right or if my wiring makes sense. I have a Profibus cable running from 315 to my ET200S but a main issue I'm having is through my hardware config.

Attached are some photos but I think my communications are set up properly but any help would be great on how to get this properly sorted.

I'm connected to the 315 from my laptop via MPI.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Lucas

Profibus 1.png Profibus 2.png

Attachments

• IMG_2176.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 20
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 17
The connection is done in the hardware config, click on the profibus cable and add it from the catalog

the hardware should look something like this.

2mo5jky.png

You wouldn't see the IO in Simatic manager as in your screenshot

I just have a 315 and an ET200S and I just want to connect the 2 of them. There haven't been any simple explanations online and I'm very new to Profibus. Do you know of an easy way to set it up? Everytime I try to download my ET200S hardware config, I get a connection error saying there's no connection

Connect to the IM151 directly from your PG device using MPI (thats the default connection out of the box) and download the h/w config and program to it.

Last edited:
I get an error about connection cannot be established when connected directly to the IM151-7F. I have it wired through profibus and I get test the connection through the diagnostics page on the PG/PC interface and it says it's "ok" but when it won't allow me to download due to a connection error. There's only one other Siemens guy we have at work that's really good but he's currently on vacation.

I get an error about connection cannot be established when connected directly to the IM151-7F. I have it wired through profibus and I get test the connection through the diagnostics page on the PG/PC interface and it says it's "ok" but when it won't allow me to download due to a connection error. There's only one other Siemens guy we have at work that's really good but he's currently on vacation.
What is the Profibus Node-Address of the 151?
2? something else?
Use the PG/PC interface to find out what active nodes are present.
If you connect directly to the 151 then you should see 2 of them, the PG and the other one should be the 151.
Check for Active and Passive ones.

The node address is 3. I setup the IM151 as a slave, is that right or wrong. I was following a Siemens manual earlier and that's how they had it setup

Node Address.png

I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish but...
If you try to connect via Profibus and your PG/PC setup is OK you should be able to connect and download the configuration to the 151.
I think it is set up for "2" so when you connect look for "2", download and after a power cycle your configuration will be downloaded/present on the 151.

I'm trying to setup a proper connection between my ET200S and my 315 but I'm not sure why my connection faults when I go to download to the ET200S, even if I'm plugged directly into it

You want the IM151-7 to be a Profibus slave for the 315-2DP as master.

But as LD has pointed out, if the IM151-7 is new out of the box, it will be setup for MPI on its integrated MPI/DP port.
So even if the IM151-7 is configured for Profibus in your program, you have to download the initial HW configuration via MPI.
Be sure that "test/configuration/diagnostic" is enabled in the setup of the port as DP slave (under the Operating Mode tab in your screenshot), before you perform the download.

When ready, under Set PG/PC Interface set S7ONLINE=MPI @ 187.5 kbps, and then download the hardware configuration. I dialog will appear where you have to specify Rack=0, Slot=2, MPI address=2. It hopefully starts !
When finished you have to set S7ONLINE=Profibus at the baudrate you set the IM151-7 port to.

So i was able to get it working but using just a standard IM 151-1. The 151-7 was giving me heaps of problems but I was able to get it properly connected with the IM 151-1 with all the info you guys gave. Thanks everyone!