webserver PLC

Ventax

Hi All

I am planning a small project as follows:
4 transistor output (high transition count 500/Hr)
4 general output (1-2 cycles/day)
4 Digital input
2 RTD Input

Logging, Monitor and control from several locations on a secure intranet.

I am looking for an inexpensive controller that can host a website HMI and the I/O minimums listed.

I have been buried in the world of custom controllers for the last few years and don't know what's currently available.

Thanks for any input.

Give us an idea of an ideal budget. Rockwell has a controller that does this. RaspberryPi's can easily do what you are looking for and meets your IO specs. There are also several HMI/PLI combos, but the RTD input cards will add significant cost to the system. You gave us specific requirements, but nothing about the environment, is a computer available?

You could use something like AdvancedHMI with an automation direct PLC to accomplish this, among many other things.

The plan is to use a Pi with touch screen as a local viewer to the web page and possibly as the main controller with a custom I/O board. I am trying to keep the budget down but $ is secondary to the right solution. Given that I have been designing controllers at the chip level for the last while, a custom solution was my first thought but I don't want to ignore an obvious off the shelf solution.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Just because I can build a completely unique solution from paper clips and bailing twine does not make it the best answer.

Codesys let's you transform the Pi into a PLC... I don't advise it controlling a critical process, or one that can create serious damage, but may be a possibility for you?

If you go for a Siemens S7-1200, an S7-1214C is the closest to your specifications.
6ES7214-1AG40-0XB0 will cost approx 450 USD list price.
Notice that it has 2x 0-10V analog inputs. You cannot get RTD inputs for the S7-1200, so you would have to add external converters.

edit: As a comparison point, a modular low/mid-end PLC like a Siemens ET200SP will be around 1200 USD for a CPU+various I/O cards + Base units.

Last edited:
You cannot get RTD inputs for the S7-1200, so you would have to add external converters.

Did you just mean you can't get them onboard? 6ES7231-5PD32-0XB0 is a 4x AI RTD module. Adds to the cost, obviously; I guess I don't know how much converters would cost to compare to an IO card.

There's also a signal board for 1x, but that doesn't help here.

My bad, I looked under "analog input modules" in the mall.
I didnt notice that there is another section for "RTD modules".
Adding the 6ES7231-5PD32-0XB0 will bump up the price with approx 350 USD list price.

Couple of suggestions.

RedLion's edge controller with MQTT and web-based HMI.

or EasyAutomation got a few solutions as well.