Motion application control problems

chopin

Hello all, I would like to ask for some advice/guidance/help on a new project I am doing.

The project is a simple Pick & Place system based on ControlLogix and Kinetix6500.

For the ease of explanation I will say there are only 2 positions P1 and P2

P1 is by default home position and is always pick, P2 is place only.

There are 3 axes.
Y - move between point P1 and P2
Z - lower the gripper
G - gripper open/close

The task is to move 500 degC hot, cylinder shape, piece of aluminium between points.
The weight is about 150kg.
Before I lift the piece I know what length it has (typically 1 meter) with a 10mm tolerance.
Aluminium pick position is very accurate as it is delivered to a dead stop.

One side of gripper is a pneumatic pivoting finger, and the other is servo drive. So when i go down to pick I open the pneumatic finger and move servo drive to a required length.
Then i close the pneumatic finger and squeeze it with servo drive clamp. See the picture.

Both sides of gripper has proximity sensors

When i am going to pick I need to achieve more less 600kg pressure before start lifting.
In case of E-Stop gripper need to maintain the pressure as the aluminium cools down and shrink.
I have a strain-gauge for testing and setting up torque/velocity values.

What I am struggling with is a gripper control. Not sure what is the best way to tackle the problem as I have not much experience with such systems.

I read I have to options: configure axis to velocity control and use a Motion Jog to open close the gripper or configure it to torque control but then I will not be able to use MAM or MAJ for accurate gripper movement.

Also the pick action (Lower Z- Axis(1,5 meter travel), clamp the gripper, Raise Z-Axis(1,5 meter travel)) should take no longer then 7 seconds.

What I would like to achieve is go down with gripper opened 50mm then the expected length, then start closing the servo side until proxy detects the part and then gently squeeze it until i get the required pressure.

I also read that is is possible to switch between position and torque mode via GSV/SSV but MSF need to be issued prior to switch.

Can anyone more experienced suggest the right approach?

g.png