Allen-Bradly Reference Numbers?

Sexcalibur

Hey all, this is my first time posting here. I google'd ladder logic reference and this website came up and navagated my way to the forums.

I have 2 degrees: Associates in Applied electronic and computer science and a Bachelors in Technical Management. I have a chance to get a job working with PLC's and I graduated at the top of my class when it came to PLC's and this stuff is so easy for me. I can do this with my eyes closed, HOWEVER, that was over 2 years ago since I last messed with a PLC.

I still remember the ladder logic and can program like no other, however, I can't remember the bloody I/O % number thingies and the format they go in. I also can't remember the bits for each device. For example, I BELIEVE timers and such have 3 bits in between them, like %r0001, %r0004, etc, but I can't remember!!! I can't recall the format, nor the bits or the letters/numbers to be used. Can anybody help?

Thanks!

To begin with, you've got GE Fanuc addressing mixed up with Allen Bradley and you're confusing bits and registers.

Why don't you just tell the interviewer the truth as you've posted it here. Honesty is generally a much smarter policy than trying to impress an interviewer with random facts. Your innate humility will make a positive impression. Besides, you never know when they'll ask you a question you haven't anticipated. On top of that, remember, the advice you get here is free and worth every penny. You never know when some Grinch might slip you some deliberate misinformation.

All I need is those reference numbers. I can get them through the professor at the college I went through, but I have to wait till Monday to do it. I have the book which will answer all my questions, but I can't recall where I placed the book. ONce I find the book, look up the references, then my ladder logic will be perfect!

I was hoping perhaps in the mean while until I find my book, that perhaps you guys would be helpful. :)

Do you want addressing for Allen Bradley or for GE Fanuc? The subject line of your original post mentioned AB, but the example you cited was GE Fanuc. There are significant differences between the way timers are done in each brand. There are also differences among models within each brand.

If you're trying to put together a portfolio of ladder logic to submit as part of your job application, why not just use identifying labels instead of absolute addresses? You'll get your point across and demonstrate your knowledge of the techniques to anyone who knows the subject.

Gee, let me see if I can help you out!

Try here for GE Fanuc.

And here for Allen-Bradley.

Depending on which one of these systems you are such a whiz at, you may find something to jog your memory. There are many "thingy" references among the other stuff on these two sites.

p.s. Steve, you have more patience than I do.

Sexcalibur said:
All I need is those reference numbers...then my ladder logic will be perfect!

Wow! I think I need those "reference numbers" also.

If you find them, please post them here so everyone's ladder logic can also be perfect.

I wish I was as good as you and could do all my work with my eyes closed. I dont think you have a clue what you are talking about. Alan

I think "***" has been lurking around and knows exactly
which buttoms to push. He did get a response. Several, and I'm sure
he will get more.

I saw this college guy who could ....

program with his eyes closed and all the little "thinges' would not always work the way they suppose came to a old timer and ask for help ... I remember being young and green and them old guys just shaking thier heads at me in disbief on how dumb this college kid was ... he will learn he aint as smart as he thinks he is ... time in the field tames us all ... I learn every day how dumb I am and I been doing this stuff along time!!!!

Oh boy, did I come to the wrong place. What's with all the flaming?

I thought this site was suppose to help, not to get flammed. You should be ashamed of yourselves for being very disrespectful. Have nice lives.

Peace,

Sexcalibur

What did you expect?

You join the forum and tell everyone that what they work hard on every day, is very easy and you can to with your eyes closed. Most of these peope have vast knowledge about many different types of systems and are very open about sharing there experiences to help out others. Your worries about I/O addressing indicate how little you really know or understand about PLC's. Many of the new PLS's, the user can make up what ever kind of addressing they want.

If you had just asked the questions, instead of bragging about how smart you are and how easy it is to program, you probably would have been very well received.

Keep your eyes open, it is never as easy as it appears.

Steve

The simple exercises done in PLC class are just that, simple exercises.

Wait until you get to the real world, and have hundreds or maybe thousands of I/O, SCADA package, reporting package, historian, PLC network I/O networking etc...
Plus a deadline, a budget and someone looking over your shoulder asking "When will it be ready" And then you encounter the infamous "bug".

I have to admit that if you can handle all that with your eyes closed, you are either a god or a fool.

Ken