Siemens Step 7 Compatibility with windows 10

dowthebow

Hi,
I'm fairly new to Siemens stuff, I see the V5.6 is possible to Install on Windows 10 but is it supported on Windows 10 by Siemens?
Can I view and fault find on existing projects written in V5.4 or 5.5 without uprevving projects?
Is it possible to licence the software from a server?
Any other relevant info would be welcome!!

V5.6 officially supports Windows 10.

V5.4 can go online with a CPU as long as it exists in its hardware catalog.
In some cases it may even be able to go online even if the hardware catalog is not uptodate. For example V5.4 can go online with 315-2PN/DP version -2EG10 even if the CPU is actually -2AH14.
If the project was created for a -2EG10, it can be loaded onto a -2AH14, only the newer features in the newer version will not be supported.
If the project was created for a -2AH14, then V5.4 can go online, but just do not change the hardware configuration since newer features used can be lost.

Yes you can license from a server. There is a FAQ here: https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/de/en/view/18602618

V5.4 can go online with a CPU as long as it exists in its hardware catalog.
In some cases it may even be able to go online even if the hardware catalog is not uptodate. For example V5.4 can go online with 315-2PN/DP version -2EG10 even if the CPU is actually -2AH14.
If the project was created for a -2EG10, it can be loaded onto a -2AH14, only the newer features in the newer version will not be supported.
If the project was created for a -2AH14, then V5.4 can go online, but just do not change the hardware configuration since newer features used can be lost.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/de/en/view/18602618

Hi Jesper, thanks for your reply...
What I mean is, if I have V5.6 installed on Windows 10, can I go online with projects written in V5.4 and V5.5, or older, using V5.6? Or would I have to up-rev the existing projects?

You can go online with V5.6, with no restrictions.
You can go online with V5.4, with caveats as written.

edit: Just for completeness sake, the newest software ("TIA") is much more pertinent with respect that the CPU version incl. formware version must match, as well as that the version of TIA that the program was written in. If for example you have a project with a CPU with a program written in V13SP1, and you have a different TIA version, V13SP2 or V14 or V15 or..., then TIA demands that the project is compiled and loaded again onto the CPU before willing to go online. This will mean you will lose the current actual values in DBs.
The older Siemens software is far more relaxed about this, and that is a good thing.

Last edited: