Visualizing ladder logic programs

arbj

Hi,

What is the best way to visualize/design ladder logic program for a PLC. For computer programs we use flowcharts, algorithms etc, is there any design software that can visualize the PLC program??

I prefer state machine design where a state parameter keeps track of the program flow, this way the program flow is structural and predictive, is this alright for PLC programming as well?

thanks
a

For computer programs we use flowcharts, algorithms etc,
Any reason why these tools can't be used for a PLC program?

State machines are used in PLC programs, perhaps not implemented the way you normally do with State variable, but they do exist.

So much that there is a language dedicated to part of where you'd use state machines (Sequential Function Chart).

The ISA PLC programming standard is also very similar to the concept of state machines. I don't like it as I prefer my code to be run all the time, but it's too a possibility.

Ladder is the visualization.

That being said - the same general programming items can apply. I would do a search on Grafcet if you want a good diagram that can translate to ladder.