can't connect a ML 1400 and laptop with ethernet cable..help.

Skidood

Hi group

I had successfully established a connection earlier today but I goofed something up and have now been banging my head against a wall for hours.
I can connect to the PLC easily with Comm 2 (RS232) but not ethernet.
Can someone tell me exactly how to set the settings in both my laptops ethernet adaptor (manually set an IP address and subnet mask, I assume...but what about DHCP) and also in the Channel configuration screen for the ethernet port in the PLC. (BootP, DHCP, etc...I read that BootP should be disabled) I have been changing the settings for that port in my application program using RS Logix then downloading it to the PLC using RS232...I do a PLC power cycle and the PLC is running the revised program no problem but I still can never get a proper ethernet connection in RSLinx. Best i have been able to do is (in RSLinx) it shows a semi-ok connection-- the model # of the PLC appears but the yellow question mark remains. I have tried both a standard cable and a crossover cable. I even loaded a fresh (empty) application program which had default settings for the e-net port...no luck...Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks. I know how to change the settings, just was starting to question what to set them to. Anyway, I got it going. I did reboot my laptop, not sure if that played a role.
I'd post screenshots of the settings on both devices but it doesn't appear that this forum allows one to do that.

Ok great.

Here are the settings for your ethernet adaptor, RS Linx (ETH-1 driver, not ETHIP driver) and the ethernet port in the PLC.

rslinx driver.png

b.png

a.jpg.png

Two things:
1. The yellow question mark in RSWho often means that you are missing the EDS file for the device in question. What version of RSLinx are you running?

2. The Ethernet Devices driver should work for you, but you might find the Ethernet/IP driver easier since it will browse the network for you and you don't have to enter the IP address of the device. If you have a need to use the Ethernet Devices driver as shown in your screenshot, you do not need to list your workstation there, only the PLCs or other devices that need to be "seen" by RSLinx.

Thanks. The yellow question mark disappeared once I connected. Thanks for the tip re: the ethip driver and not having to list the workstation..